The Compass School of Ashburn
44128 Navajo Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Karen Dickens (571) 423-6978
Inspection Date: March 10, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted today between the hours of 9:30 am-11:45 am. There were a total of 115 children with 19 staff members present. Children were observed during diapering, handwashing, sensory activities, painting, engaged in group activities, and outdoor play time. A selection of staff and children records, medications and other documents were reviewed. The physical space, emergency supplies, evacuation drills, attendance records, and the Emergency Preparedness Plan were reviewed. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice.
Thank you for your cooperation today. Please contact me if you have any questions at Karen.email@example.com.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-K Description: Based on record review, the center did not develop written procedures for prevention of shaken baby syndrome or abusive head trauma, including coping with crying babies, safe sleeping practices, and sudden infant death syndrome awareness.
1. The center did not develop written procedures for shaken baby syndrome or abusive head trauma.
Plan of Correction: The center will develop written procedures for shaken baby syndrome or abusive head trauma.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review, children's records did not contain required information.
1. Child #3's (Start date 09/08/2020) record did not contain documentation of an annual update.
Plan of Correction: The parents will review the record and update if necessary. Annual review of information is documented during parent teacher conference time.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A-8 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not obtain a written care plan for each child with a diagnosed food allergy, to include instructions from a physician regarding the food to which the child is allergic and the steps to be taken in the event of a suspected or confirmed allergic reaction.
1. Child #5 has a diagnosed allergy and has emergency medication on site. Child #5's record did not have documentation of a written care plan for the diagnosed food allergy.
2. Staff #6 confirmed that Child #5 does not have a written care plan.
Plan of Correction: The center will work with the parents to obtain a written care plan for the child and document the record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, hazardous substances such as cleaning materials, insecticides, and pesticides shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. In the three and four year old classroom, a box of Borax and a bottle of white vinegar was stored in a low unlocked cabinet.
2. In a second three and four year old classroom, a bottle of disinfectant spray was stored in a low unlocked cabinet.
3. In the Pre-K classroom, two containers of disinfecting wipes with the label, "Keep out of Reach of Children" was stored in a low unlocked cabinet. A container of wet mop cloths were also stored in the same cabinet.
Plan of Correction: The containers were removed and locked up during the time of the inspection. Moving forward, all hazardous substances will be locked up.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-F Description: Based on and observation, record review, the center did not develop and implement a written policy and procedure that describes how the center will ensure that each group of children receives care by consistent staff or team of staff members.
1. The center did not have documentation of a written policy and procedure that describes how the center will ensure that each group of children are cared for by consistent staff members.
Plan of Correction: The center will develop a written policy and procedure that describes how each group of children are being cared for by consistent staff members.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-B Description: Based on record review, the emergency evacuation plan did not contain required procedural components.
1. The Emergency Plan did not contain continuity of operations during an emergency and reunification plans after evacuation.
Plan of Correction: The Emergency plan will be updated to include these procedures.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-G Description: Based on record review, documentation was not maintained of emergency evacuation, shelter in place, and lockdown drills.
1. The evacuation drill logs were missing the following information: the person conducting the drill, and problems encountered, if any.
Plan of Correction: The center will use the department's model forms to ensure compliance for all documentation.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.