Forest KinderCare Learning Center
16780 Forest Road
Forest, VA 24551
Current Inspector: Kelly Campbell (540) 309-2494
Inspection Date: March 17, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-790 SUBSIDY REGULATIONS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
An unannounced on-site renewal inspection was conducted on 03/17/2022. There were 98 children, ages 1 months-5 years, present during the inspection. The inspector observed the following: free choice activities, large motor play in gym, and painting. A total of 5 children?s records and 5 staff records, were reviewed. The inspector discussed the following with staff: background, medication, emergency policy and orientation.
Standard #: 22.1-289-036-B-4 Description: Based on review of five staff's records, the center failed to ensure that all out of state required backgrounds were obtained.
1. Staff # 1 was hired on 10/25/2021 and staff # 2 was hired on 1/22/2022. Both staff lived out side of the state of Virginia in the past five years. Both staff lived in states that participate in the NFF(National Fingerprint File). A sex offender check and an CPS check of the state is required.
On the day of the inspection the there was no documentation that the out of state background checks have been initiated.
Plan of Correction: The Inspector went over the requirements of out of state backgrounds and send link for the interstate child care background check contact list.
The director will now know where to contact for the background checks. All will be completed as required.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-40-D-1-a Description: Based review of five staff's records, the center failed to ensure that all CPS background checks were completed and return with results within the 30 days of hire.
1. Staff # 1 was hired on 10/25/2021 and on the day of the inspection a CPS back ground check was not returned. There was no documentation that OBI was contacted to verify the status of the CPS check which is required by the code.
2. Staff # 3 was hired on 12/7/2021 and the CPS check was returned on 3/11/2022. This was over the 30 days allowed for the return of the CPS check. There was no documentation of anyone contacting OBI to verify the status of the check.
Plan of Correction: The director in the future will make sure that calls will be made to OBI to verify the status of the background check.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A-2 Description: Based on review of five staff's records, the center failed to ensure that a TB screening or test with in 30 days of employment.
1. Staff # 1 was hire on 10/25/2021 and on the day of the inspection there was no documentation of a TB screening or test in the record.
2. Staff # 2 was hired on 1/22/2022 and the date of the TB test was 6/4/2021. This was not in the 30 days before employment.
Plan of Correction: The director will have staff # 1 to complete a TB screening ASAP. In the future all TB screenings and or test will be completed 30 days of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on review of five staff records, the center failed to ensure that all records were completed within the requirements of the standard.
1. Staff #2 was hired on 1/22/2022 and one of the two required references was obtained on 1/27/2022. The reference was obtained after the staff person was hired.
Plan of Correction: In the future all references will be checked prior to hire and all records will be monitored.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation of the DPS2 classroom, the center failed to ensure that all chemicals were locked and not accessible to the children.
1. The cabinet under the sink where the chemicals are stored had a lock on door. The locking mechanism did not prevent the inspector from partially pulling out a bottle of chemical. The spray nozzle was out and was able to be sprayed.
Plan of Correction: The director and teacher will work with maintenance to ensure that a locking mechanism is used that presents entry. The teacher will monitor all cabinets.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all hand washing procedures were followed according to the standard.
Observed in the older infant room, a staff person in training diapering two infants. The staff's hands were not washed before of after each diaper change.
Plan of Correction: The director and lead teacher will work with new staff to ensure that all staff are aware of the hand washing procedures and will monitor diapering.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation of the older infant room, the center failed to ensure that all the diapering procedures
1. Observed in the older infant room, a staff person in training diapering two infants. The changing area did not have a barrier, and was not cleaned and sanitized the area after each infant as required by the standard.
Plan of Correction: The lead teacher will ensure that the new staff persons are trained and monitored as diapering is happened to ensure the standards are met.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-D Description: Based on interviews and review of the evacuation log, the center failed to ensure that all required drills were documented and preformed.
1. The log indicated that only one shelter in place was conducted in 2021. The only shelter in place drill was on 8/17/2021. The standard requires two shelter in place drill every year. The director confirmed that only one drill was conducted.
Plan of Correction: The shelter in place drill was missed and will not be missed in the future. The director will monitored all drills and will make sure all are preformed as the standard requires.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-570-E Description: Based on observation of both infant room, the center failed to ensure that each bottle was dated and labeled with the owner's name.
1. In the older infant room, two prepared bottles for child # 1 did not have a date on them. Child # 2 did not have name or a date on the two prepared bottles.
2. In the younger infant room, one prepared bottle for child # 3 was not dated of labeled.
Plan of Correction: In the future the staff will monitor the bottles as they are brought in by the parents to ensure they are dated and labeled as required by the standard.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.