Grace Montessori School
6507 Main St
The plains, VA 20198
(540) 253-5177 (105)
Current Inspector: Sharon Allen (540) 272-2941
Inspection Date: March 29, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
- Technical Assistance:
Consultation provided on escape drills, lockdown drill and shelter in place drills.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted today with the director, who was present with 4 additional staff and 13 children, ranging in age from 18 months to 6 years. The older children were eating their morning snack while the younger children were engaged in free play.
Four staff files and five children's files were reviewed during this inspection.
Due to the nature of the violations regarding the playground, please use caution tape and signage to clearly mark the play equipment off limits. Upon making the changes to the playground and before use, please notify your licensing inspector.
The fire inspection is dated 8/19/21 and the health inspection is dated 2/18/22.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, it was determined that the outside play equipment was not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
The chains on the swings were rusting.
Plan of Correction: Replace swing chains.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: Based on observation and an inspection of the playground and interview with the director, it was determined that there were insufficient fall zones, insufficient and inadequate resilient surfacing under and around the swings, rock dome climber and slides.
1. The 6 swings on the playground required a front and rear fall zone (resilient surfacing) of 18 feet 8 inches. Directly under each swing was bare ground, beyond the bare ground was grass, which extended 18 plus feet in front of and behind the swings. Bare ground and grass are not considered resilient surfaces.
2. On both sides of the swing set the standards required a fall zone with resilient surfacing of 6 feet. Both sides of the swing had no resilient surfacing.
3. The rock dome climber on the playground required a 6 foot fall zone in all directions from the edge of the climber. One to two feet surrounding the climber was degraded and compacted mulch with grass making up the remainder of the fall zone. Compact and degraded mulch and grass are not considered resilient surfaces.
4. The swings front fall zone and the rock dome climber?s fall zone overlapped one another by 6 feet. Fall zones for play equipment should not overlap.
5. The mulch at the end of and surround the slides on the playground had degraded to the point it was turning to dirt, therefore it was no longer a resilient surface.
Plan of Correction: Close down playground until violations can be corrected. Contact licensing to re-inspect playground once corrections are made.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-E Description: Based on a review of the shelter in place log, it was determined that shelter in place procedures were not practiced twice a year in 2021.There was one shelter in place drill conducted on10/21/21. Plan of Correction: Conduct drills.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-F Description: Based on interview and a review of the yearly log for procedures for emergencies, the center has not conducted a lockdown practice drill for 2021, which is required annually. Plan of Correction: Conduct frills.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.