Hoppy Polliwogs Daycare, LLC
15 Cave Street
Luray, VA 22835
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman (540) 430-9257
Inspection Date: April 6, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant
8VAC20-780 Special Care, Provisions & Emergencies
8VAC770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
A complaint inspection was conducted onsite on April 6, 2022 from 11:00 A.M.-12:15 P.M. A complaint was received in the Office of Child Care Health & Safety (Valley), on April 1, 2022 in regards to special care, provisions and emergencies. There were 33 children present, ranging in ages from five months to five years of age, with six staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and programming, medication, and special care and emergencies. A total of two child records, one staff interview, and classroom observations were conducted. The information gathered during the investigation does support the allegation and is determined to be "valid". There were two non-complaint related violations cited and are noted on the violation notice provided to the facility.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Licensing Inspector at 540-430-9257.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, the center failed to keep all hazardous materials in a locked location.
1. In Classroom #1 there was a container of disinfectant spray sitting on the second shelve of the diaper changing table. The container stated "keep out of reach of children", and "hazardous to children and domestic animals."
2. Staff verified that the disinfect spray was not in a locked location.
Plan of Correction: Administration will retrain staff on the requirement that all hazardous materials are to be locked at all times. Staff moved the disinfectant to a locked location.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-490-C Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and verification from the director, the center failed to report communicable disease's to parents when children have been exposed.
1. The director stated that there had been two reports of a communicable disease the week of March 21, 2022.
2. The director stated that there have been two reports of a communicable disease between March 31, 2022 and April 1, 2022.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that parents were not notified of exposure.
Plan of Correction: In the future when there has been exposure to a communicable disease administration will post a notice at the front of the center so all parents are aware of the exposure and symptoms.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-C Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all requirements for over-the-counter diaper ointment were followed.
1. In Classroom #1 there was a container of Destin Diaper Ointment on the second shelve of the diaper changing table. Diaper ointment must be kept inaccessible to children. The diaper ointment was accessible to children in care.
2. In Classroom #1 there was a container of Destin Diaper Ointment that was not labeled with a name.
3. Staff verified that the diaper ointment was not kept in an inaccessible location, and that the diaper ointment was not labeled with a name.
Plan of Correction: Staff moved the diaper ointment to a location that was inaccessible for children and labeled the diaper ointment. Administration will review requirement with staff regarding all over-the-counter skin products.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.