Primrose School of Ashburn
44830 Lakeview Overlook Plaza
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Charles Perkins (703) 309-3963
Inspection Date: April 5, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
- Technical Assistance:
Discussion and interviews with center in regards of care and protection of children; and an incident that occurred on 03/31/2022. A review of numerous incident reports completed since the start of the new year were reviewed. Discussion took place in regards of specific children who were no longer enrolled, transitioning of children to other classrooms, and retraining of staff.
The following unannounced complaint inspection took place on 04/05/2022, between the hours of 11 am through 12:30 pm, on site at the Primrose School located in Ashburn, Virginia. All available evidence was gathered through the review of documentation, and the interview process. The following are the findings for those areas of the standard that were in review:
8 VAC 20-780-(8)-560.P Reported / Valid
8 VAC 20-780-(5)-340.A Reported / Not Valid
If you should have any future questions with regards to these findings, please call or send an e-mail to email@example.com. Thank you.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-560-P Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interview and review, a child with a diagnosed sensitivity / intolerance was served food identified in the center's written allergy / sensitivity / intolerance list.
1. On the date of inspection (04/05/2022), a letter dated 09/24/2021, the doctor of Child #1 states that...(Child #1) has been evaluated for food allergies and has test negative for strawberry allergy. He may have a food sensitivity or intolerance..."
2. In paperwork on file and completed by the child's parent (prior to the doctor's note), as well as the center's current allergy list, has Child #1 documented as being allergic to strawberries. The parents directed the center (after the doctor's letter), due to the severity of the intolerance, to have Child #1 treated as a child with an allergy (with the exception of no longer needing an Epi-Pen kept on site).
3. On 03/31/2022, during A.M. Snack at approximately 9:50 am, Child #1 was served strawberries and saltine crackers within Early Pre-School 1 (EP1). The serving of these items are also reflected on the center's menu.
4. Staff #1 stated (during an interview conducted on the date of inspection) that she did not review the allergy card for Child #1 and that Staff #2 did not have a separately prepared substitute food item for the Child #1. Staff #1 also stated that Staff #2 did not alert her to the sensitivity / intolerance of strawberries for Child #1.
5. Staff #2 stated (during an interview conducted on the date of inspection) that the center did not inform her that Child #1 was in attendance within EP1. Staff #2 stated that she was only aware of one child (a different child than Child #1) within the EP1 room with an allergy / sensitivity / intolerance to strawberries, not two.
6. The Parent of Child #1 discovered through the online communication link, Procare Software that Child #1 had been served strawberries. The center did not realize their mistake until the Parent of Child #1 brought it to their attention approximately 30 minutes later, having learned about it herself through the posting.
7. The Parent of Child #1 picked up her child approximately 1 hour later. Later, at home, Child #1 experienced diarrhea, and rashes. Child #1 returned to care on the next day. The center did not furnish an incident report on this matter to the parents of Child #1 until the evening of 04/05/2022.
Plan of Correction: All staff will be retrained with regards to the allergy / sensitivities / intolerance list. Communication between staff will also be address with regards to this list, attendance, and / or the future transitioning of applicable children from one room to another.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.