James L. and Juliette McNeil Preschool Academy
8543 Forest Place
Alexandria, VA 22309
Current Inspector: Leah Pagala (703) 537-6757
Inspection Date: April 6, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance was offered related to children's records, naptime and menu.
The center demonstrated compliance related to the installation of a carbon monoxide detector.
A renewal inspection was conducted on 4/6/22 from 11:00am to 1:45 pm. There were 63 children presenting direct care of 14 staff supervising. The children were observed engaged in art and writing activities, going outside for walks, washing hands upon return and before lunch. Staff was observed completing head counts when children were leaving for walks. Infant equipment, bottles and charts were reviewed. There were no medications on site. 4 staff records, 3 children's records, the center's policies and emergency drill records/supplies were reviewed. The lunch menu was "Breakfast for Lunch" and included sausage, waffles, bananas, cucumbers and milk.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law; and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. For any questions regarding this inspection, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-835-4718.
Standard #: 22.1-289.036-B-2 Description: Based on records review, the center did not obtain results of fingerprint based criminal history check for an agent.
1. Agent # 1's employment date was 7/1/20.
2. Agent 1's record did not include results of a criminal history check based on a fingerprint search, conducted by the Department's approved agency.
Plan of Correction: Appointment has been made for fingerprint to be taken.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A-1 Description: Based on staff interview, the center did not obtain a Tuberculosis (TB) screening for each independent contractor prior to coming into contact with children.
1. Two independent contractors were observed engaged in services with Child # 1.
2. Independent Contractor # 1 stated that she started her services approximately in the middle of March. She also stated that Independent Contractor # 2 only started her services no more than two weeks prior to the date of the inspection.
3. When TB screenings were requested for both contractors, Independent Contractor # 1 stated that she she was unaware of this requirement and a TB screening was not requested by the center.
3. Independent Contractor # 2 showed a TB screening from 2000 on her phone. Upon interview, Independent Contractor # 2 stated that she had not completed a TB screening in a long time, and certainly not within the last two years.
4. TB screenings were not obtained for both independent contractors prior to them coming into contact with Child # 1.
Plan of Correction: TB appointments have been scheduled for today.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-90--A Description: Based on records review, a written agreement between the parent and the center to include the notification of communicable illness and the center's sick policy was not signed by the parent.
Evidence: Child # 1's record included the written policy that listed the notification of communicable illness and the center's sick policy. However, the parent agreement was not signed by the parent.
Plan of Correction: Foster parent has signed off the parental agreement.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: Based on observation, it was determined that the center did not maintain the required depth of resilient surfacing in the fall zone areas around and under playground equipment. Fall zones are defined as the area underneath and surrounding equipment that requires a resilient surface.
Evidence: There was no resilient surface of a depth of 6 inches under or surrounding the metal climbing dome on the playground. It was located on the ground that comprised of soil and some grass.
Plan of Correction: Mulch will be placed around and inside fall zones.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.