Amherst Presbyterian Preschool
163 Second Street
Amherst, VA 24521
Current Inspector: Kelly Campbell (540) 309-2494
Complaint Related: No
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-K Description: Based on interviews with the director, the center failed to ensure that they developed a written procedures for prevention of shaken baby syndrome or abusive head trauma, including coping with crying babies, safe sleeping practices, and sudden infant death syndrome awareness. Plan of Correction: The director will work on writing a procedure as soon as possible.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all chemicals were locked while children were in care.
1. Observed on a filing cabinet as you enter the program was three containers of chemicals unlocked and accessible to the children in care.
Plan of Correction: The director and staff will make sure that all chemicals are locked.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-4 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all ratio for ages 3-5 years old's were met.
1. Observed in class # 3 there were 11 children with one staff person. The required ratio is 10 children to 1 staff.
Plan of Correction: The director will have the extra children to move to the next class to ensure that ratio is met.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-G Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all medication was labeled with the owner's name.
1. There was a blister pack of pills that did not indicate who the owner was. The blister package was locked but lose in the filing cabinet.
2. There was a container of children's Benadryl with no name on the medication.
Plan of Correction: The director stated that she thought they were staff's. She will discard the medication ASAP. The director will discard the Benadryl ASAP.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-I Description: Based on review of medications and medication administration log, the center failed to ensure that all medication administered to a child had an authorization from the parent.
1. Child # 1 had an ibuprofen at the center and the medication was administered on 11/11/2021. There was no authorization for this medication at the center. The medication was at the center on the day of the inspection.
Plan of Correction: The director will send the medication home today to the parent.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-B Description: Based on review of emergency plans and interviews with the director, the center failed to ensure that the emergency preparedness plan contain all procedural components.
1. Verified with the director the emergency preparedness plan did not contain the lockdown procedure.
Plan of Correction: The director has had a lot of personal things going on, she will make sure the the lockdown procedure is written and given to staff.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.