Montessori Kids Universe
20108 Ashburn Village Blvd.
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Leah Pagala (703) 537-6757
Inspection Date: April 27, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision
An unannounced inspection was conducted April 27, 2022 in response to a self-reported incident regarding forbidden action. Information gathered during the inspection determined areas of non-compliance with applicable regulations or law, and a violation was documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact Leah Pagala at 703-537-6757 or email@example.com
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-410-1 Description: Based on interview and observation, a staff member roughly handled, shook and used physical punishment on a child.
On 04/14/2022, the LI obtained video footage from the facility from 04/12/2022 (date of the incident) in which the following was observed:
1) Staff A walked over to Child A and used two hands to grab Child A?s left arm and pulled them up off the floor quickly causing the child?s head to jerk back and forth.
2) Staff A had two hands on the child?s left arm, pushed and pulled the child?s arm and shook the child.
3) Staff A then put one hand on each of Child A?s arms and forced Child A to sit down on the floor.
4) While Child A was sitting down, Staff A placed their hands on the child?s knees and pushed the Child?s body causing them to fall over onto their side.
5) Staff A stated they ?were holding [the child] a little bit hard and the child was crying.?
6) Staff B stated ?all of a sudden [Staff A] sounded mad? and they viewed Staff A ?grabbing [Child A] trying to make them sit.? Staff B stated Child A was ?crying so hard? while Staff A was ?holding the child?s arms.?
7) Staff C stated they entered the room once they heard Child A crying. While sitting with Child A, Staff C said ?the child was saying `Staff A hurt me, [they] hurt me? and wouldn?t let Staff A touch them.?
Plan of Correction: The Director immediately got coverage for the classroom and dismissed Staff A from the class. The Director discussed with Staff A how her actions were unacceptable and she would be suspended until further investigation takes place. The Director reviewed the cameras and made the decision to terminate Staff A?s employment. The Director called the licensing inspector and reported the violation and submitted video evidence. The Director then called Child Protective Services and made a report through them. Furthermore, the Director had a staff meeting with all staff members the following week and discussed appropriate behaviors and held a training on positive discipline.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.