BUILDING BLOCKS PRESCHOOL AND CHILDCARE CENTER
844 & 848 Jerome Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23518
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: May 23, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A renewal inspection was conducted on 5/23/22 from 10:45am until 2:30pm. At the time of the inspection, there were 62 children in care with 16 staff present. A sample of 6 children's records and 8 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed playing on the playground, eating lunch and resting quietly during nap time. Lunch service, diapering procedures and restroom and handwashing procedures were also observed. First aid and emergency supplies, the emergency preparedness plan, documentation of emergency practice drills, children's injury reports and required center postings were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law. Violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were discussed with the center director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that a copy of the results of a search of the child abuse and neglect registry is obtained from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 3/4/22. Staff 1 indicated on her sworn statement or affirmation that she has resided in the state of North Carolina within the past five years. The results of a search of the child abuse and neglect registry were not available for staff 1 from the state of North Carolina.
2. The center director confirmed that the child abuse and neglect registry search for the state of North Carolina was not completed for staff 1.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A request for a search of the child abuse and neglect registry for staff 1 will be completed. Once received, the results will be forwarded to the licensing inspector.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that staff records contain all the required information.
1. The record for staff 1 (date of hire: 3/4/22) contains documentation that only one reference as to character and reputation as well as competency was checked before employment, where two are required.
2. The center director confirmed that only one of the two required reference checks were completed for staff 1 prior to employment.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The second reference check will be completed for staff 1 and placed in the staff record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: Based on playground observation and measurement, it was determined that the center did not ensure that where playground equipment is provided, resilient surfacing shall comply with minimum safety standards when tested in accordance with the procedures described in the American Society for Testing and Materials standard F1292-99 and shall be under equipment with moving parts or climbing apparatus to create a fall zone free of hazardous obstacles.
1. The mulch surrounding the climbing equipment, slides and swings on the playground measures approximately 1 inch in all areas, where 6 inches are required.
2. The center director confirmed that there is not at least 6 inches of resilient surfacing surrounding the playground equipment.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A work order for additional mulch will be placed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that a nonabsorbent surface for diapering or changing shall be used.
1. The diaper changing pad in the infant room has a cover that is not made of a nonabsorbent material.
a. During the inspection, staff were observed changing a child on the changing pad that was not covered by a nonabsorbent material.
2. The center director confirmed that the changing pad in the infant room is not covered by a nonabsorbent material.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: a new diaper pad cover that is made of nonabsorbent material will be purchased for the infant room.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.