BUILDING BLOCKS PRESCHOOL AND CHILDCARE CENTER
844 & 848 Jerome Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23518
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: May 23, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
A complaint inspection was initiated on 5/23/22 and concluded on 5/24/22. A complaint was received by the department on 4/19/22 regarding allegations in the area of physical plant. An unannounced on-site inspection was conducted and a tour of the entire building was completed. Based on information gathered during the investigation, the complaint is determined to be valid. A violation was issued in the area of physical plant and was discussed with the center director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that areas of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. In the gym, there are multiple areas that have insulation panels hanging down from the ceiling.
2. The plates on the door handles in the gym are hanging off, with exposed rust and sharp, protruding edges.
3. In the pre-k hallway, there is chipped and peeling paint along areas of the wall.
4. The baseboard at the bottom of the sink in the pre-k boys' bathroom is coming off. There is an exposed rusted screw and crumbling wood particles on the sink baseboard.
5. The center director confirmed that the items listed above are not currently in a safe and operable condition.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The sink baseboard in the pre-k boys' bathroom has been repaired. Work orders have been submitted for the walls to be painted and for the gym doors and gym ceiling to be repaired.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.