The Compass School of Ashburn
44128 Navajo Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Karen Dickens (571) 423-6978
Inspection Date: June 2, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
- Technical Assistance:
Provided a sample menu.
The Licensing Inspector conducted an unannounced complaint inspection in response to a complaint that was received by the licensing office on 6/01/2022. Interviews were conducted with staff relating to the allegations of forbidden actions in the Nature Center Three Year Old Classroom. The information gathered during this investigation supports the allegations, so the complaint is determined to be valid. See the Violation Notice for findings.
Please complete the columns for "Plan of Correction" and "Date to be Corrected" for each violation cited on the violation notice, and then return a signed and dated copy to the licensing office within 5 business days of receipt. If you have any questions you may contact me at Stacy.Doyle@doe.virginia.gov or 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, areas inside the center were not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. In the Nature Center classroom, the carpet was unraveling and had loose strings. (Approximate length-10 feet of unraveled floor line.)
Plan of Correction: The carpet was repaired and a new area rug installed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-410-2 Complaint related: No Description: Based on interviews, a staff member used a forbidden action of placing a child in a small confined space that the child could not freely exit himself.
1. Staff #2 stated that [Staff #1] puts children under the staff desk and [Staff #1's] body blocks them to isolate them[in the Nature Center Classroom]. Staff #2 also stated [Staff#1] shoved [Child#2-a 3 year old] with her foot to stop crying.
2. Staff #3 wrote in an email to center management, that [Staff#1] "puts children under her desk when they are not behaving ("acting out") and sits in front of it." Staff#3 also wrote "the last time he was here, she dragged him by the arm to shove him under the desk and used the side of her foot to kick him in further."
3. Staff #3 stated [Staff #1] would place [Child #1-a 3 year old] under the desk to calm down. Staff #3 stated [Staff #1] would tell [Child #1] to go under and he would be upset for not listening or suppose to sit down or talking too much.
4. Staff #3 stated that [Staff #1] grabbed [Child #2-a 3 year old ] by the arm and placed the child under the desk and sat in front of the desk to cage [Child #2] in. Staff #3 stated "[Staff #1] roughly handled [Child #2] when grabbing him by arm and then used her foot to push him further in. [Staff #1] was confining [Chidl#2] in the space caging him in. [Child#2] couldn't get out without [Staff#1] moving."
Plan of Correction: This discipline approach utilized by Staff #1 is unacceptable and counter to school policies and employee training. Upon conclusion of the complaint investigation, the employment of Staff#1 was terminated. The Director will review school policies regarding guidance, safe supervision, and prohibited behaviors with all staff, as well as reviewing mandated reporter guidelines. Additional Conscious Discipline training will be conducted as needed. The Director will communicate directly with parents of children in the classroom.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-560-F Complaint related: No Description: Based on interview and review of the center's menu, the center was not following the most recent, age appropriate nutritional requirements of the Child and Adult Care Food Program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
1. The May snack menu had only one component of food for either AM snack, PM snack or both. Example: Goldfish and water on 5/04/2022 PM snack.
2. Staff #1 stated they usually just give them water at lunch in [the Nature Center Classroom]. "I don't pour and put in front of them."
3. Staff #2 stated [Staff #1] doesn't serve milk or offer to the children in [the Nature Center Classroom].
Plan of Correction: The Center's menu has been updated to reflect the most recent age-appropriate nutritional requirements. Snack and lunch requirements will be reviewed with all staff.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.