1841 London Bridge Road
Virginia beach, VA 23453
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sampson (757) 354-7307
Inspection Date: June 7, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
The licensing inspector conducted an unannounced complaint inspection on 06/07/2022 in response to a complaint that was received in the licensing regarding allegations in the area of supervision and behavioral guidance. Interviews were conducted with staff, records reviewed and observations of the program were made relating to the allegation. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
The Intensive Plan of Correction was also reviewed during this inspection.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-410-1 Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and a record review the center did not ensure rough handling was not used.
1. On 04/28/2022 Staff #1 received written disciplinary action for "mishandling a child," who was 2 years-old (Child A).
3. Staff reported observing Staff #1 roughly moving and pulling children by the arm.
4. Staff described Staff #1 as, "too rough" with the children. One staff reported when it's time to leave for the day, "I don't like leaving her with the kids."
5. Staff #1 confirmed rough handling child A for flipping chairs.
Plan of Correction: Corrected on 04/28/2022. Staff # 1 was retrained on child interactions immediately following this situation that happened in April and was moved permanently to another classroom in July. In addition a new lead teacher is scheduled to start on 7/25/2022 for this classroom. School Management and DM are doing unannounced classroom observations.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation the center did not ensure staff interacted with the children and one another to provide needed help, comfort and support, in order to promote the children's physical, intellectual and social well-beings.
1. On 06/07/2022, while in the director's office, the inspector heard crying and screaming coming from the hallway. When the inspector walked down the hall, a pre-school aged child was observed in the doorway crying and screaming. There were 2 staff in the room, one staff was assisting children in the bathroom and the other was preparing cots for nap. Neither staff spoke to or comforted the crying child.
2. The rest of the class of children were observed climbing on cubby shelves, running and walking across cots. There was a total of 20 children in the classroom. Neither staff spoke to each other or the children as they continued ending to tasks.
Plan of Correction: Corrected on 06/09/2022. Both Staff were retrained on classroom management and child interaction. As of 6/21/22 a new lead teacher has been hired for this room. Management and DM are conducting random classroom observations weekly to ensure compliance.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.