Kid's Kingdom Child Development Center LLC - Virginia Beach
5230 Indian River Road
Virginia beach, VA 23464
Current Inspector: Christopher Robinson (757) 404-2322
Inspection Date: April 25, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
The Licensing Inspector conducted an inspection on 4/25/22 in response to a self-report made by the facility on 4/13/22 concerning an incident reported by the facility to determined if they were compliant with the standards. Staff were interviewed, documentation was reviewed, and the entire facility was inspected and observed during the investigation. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-E Description: Based on interviews it was determined that the facility did not ensure that facility follows its own policies and procedures for supervision and transportation.
1. The facility?s transportation policy states ?The center will only provide transportation to and from Center sponsored field trips and to and from area schools?. However, child #1 was transported to an unapproved destination by staff #1.
2. The facility?s supervision policy states that KKCDC staff shall ensure that the children are within their actual sight and sound at all times. However, child #1 was not within sight and sound of staff #1 when staff #1 left the bus to retrieve a package.
3. Staff #2 (Program Director) confirmed that staff #1 did not follow the facility?s transportation and supervision policies.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Center will ensure that our transportation policies are adhered to at all times. Children will be within sight and sound and additional staff will remain on the bus with children if driver must get off the bus for any reason.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Description: Based on interviews it was determined that the facility did not ensure that when staff are supervising children, they shall always ensure their care, guidance and protection,
1. Staff #1 left child #1 (four years old) alone on the facility?s bus, which was parked in the driveway of the house owned by the provider, to go retrieve a package off the porch.
2. When staff #1 returned child #1 was crying. Staff #1 stated that when he asked child #1 why she was crying, child #1 said she was afraid that she was going to be kidnapped.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Center will ensure that staff members and/or drivers will be within sight and sound of children to ensure their comfort and safety.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Description: Based on interviews it was determined that the facility did not ensure that children under 10 years of age shall always be within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. On 4/2/22, staff #1 parked the bus in the driveway of the provider?s house and exited the facility?s bus. Staff #1 walked to the porch to retrieve a package and left child #1 alone on the bus for approximately one minute.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that child #1 wasn?t within actual sight and sound when he exited the bus to retrieve a package from the front porch of the provider?s house.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Center will ensure that there will always be a staff member within sight of children and no child will be left alone on bus alone for any amount of time.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-580-C Description: Based on interviews it was determined that the facility did not ensure that at least one staff member or the driver remains in the vehicle when children are present.
1. On 4/2/22, staff #1 picked child #1 up from the local public school. Upon leaving the school, staff #1 drove the bus to the house of the provider to pick up a package. Child #1 was left alone on the bus, which was parked in the driveway, while staff #1 retrieved a package from the front porch of the house.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that he was the only staff member present on the bus with child #1 and that child #1 was left alone on the bus when he retrieved the package from the porch.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Center will ensure that there is a staff member within sight and sound of children at all times and not left alone.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.