KinderCare Learning Center #301766
44051 Ashburn Shopping Plaza
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Whitney Mcgrath (571) 835-4717
Inspection Date: July 11, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
An unannounced investigation was conducted on 7/11/2022 regarding a self-reported incident. This visit was conducted between 11:15am and 12:20pm. After interviewing all involved parties and reviewing documentation and school policies, violations were cited during this visit and can be viewed on the Violation Notice.
Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at email@example.com.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-E Description: Based on a review of school policies and interview, the license did not ensure that the center's activities and services are maintained in compliance with the center's own policies and procedures that are required by these standards and the terms of the current license.
1. The licensee uses a Child Supervision Record (CSR) system for accounting for the whereabouts of each child in care. The CSR system requires staff to perform a name-to-face check of each child during each transition, verifying that each child has made the transition. After the name-to-face verification, the staff should document the number of children and teachers at the bottom of the CSR.
2. On 5/11/2022 at approximately 11:25am, Staff #1 left the Pre-K classroom onto the playground with 14 children. Staff #1 had the classroom CSR sheet and marked 14 children present on the playground. Staff #2 remained in the classroom with 4 children.
3. At approximately 11:30am, Staff #2 left the Pre-K classroom onto the playground with 3 children. Staff #2 counted 3 children in the classroom and counted 3 children again outside, however they were unaware that they originally had 4 children inside the classroom. The name-to-face CSR transition was not completed as required. Staff #2 marked 4 children's names on the CSR sheet, despite only 3 children coming outside.
4. Staff #2 confirmed that they did not complete a name-to-face check of the children that exited the classroom based off the CSR sheet.
5. At approximately 11:32am, Child #1 (5 years old) exited the classroom into the school hallway and was found by Staff #3. Child #1 had been alone and unsupervised for approximately 2 minutes.
5. Training certificates verify that Staff #1 and Staff #2 were trained on the CSR procedures on 3/24/2022.
Plan of Correction: Teachers were retrained on proper use of the CSR and supervision during transitions on 5/13/2022.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Description: Based on interview, children under 10 years of age were not always within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. On 5/11/2022 at approximately 11:25am, Staff #1 exited the Pre-K classroom to go outside to the playground with 14 children, while Staff #2 remained in the classroom with 4 children.
2. Staff #2 stated that they remained in the classroom to finish cleaning up an art project. Staff #2 instructed the children to wash their hands and to stand against the wall next to the playground door.
3. Staff #2 stated that 3 children stood against the wall to go outside and Child #1 must have gone to sit on the carpet.
4. At approximately 11:30am, Staff #2 exited the classroom to go onto the playground with 3 children.
5. Child #1 (5 years old) was left alone and unsupervised in the classroom.
6. Staff #3 stated that they found Child #1 walking out of the classroom into the school hallway at approximately 11:32am.
Plan of Correction: Teachers were retrained on proper use of the Child Supervision Roster (CSR) and coached on proper supervision and transitions to/from the classroom.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.