Heavenly Playhouse Childcare Center
10613 Patterson Avenue
Henrico, VA 23238
Current Inspector: Jennifer Moore (540) 430-0384
Inspection Date: July 14, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced renewal inspection was initiated and concluded on 7/14/2022. The inspector was on site from 9:40 am-11:40 am. There were 41 children present, ranging in ages from 3 months to 9 years, with 5 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies, nutrition and background checks. A total of 5 child records, 5 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Please complete the ?plan of correction? and ?date to be corrected? for each violation cited on the
violation notice and return it to me within 5 business days from today. You will need to specify how the deficient practice will be or has been corrected. Just writing the word ?corrected? is not acceptable. Your plan of correction must contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standard(s), 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again; and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measures. Please do not use staff names; list staff by positions only.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on a review of 5 staff records and interview, the center did not ensure that 1 staff record contained documentation of a negative tuberculosis (TB) screening that had been completed within the last 30 calendar days of the date of employment.
1. The record of staff #1 (DOH:7/08/2022) contained a negative tuberculosis screening dated 4/1/2022.
2. Administration acknowledged that the TB screening was not completed within the required time frame.
Plan of Correction: Administration was unaware
that the TB screening had to
be within the last 30 days.
Administration will review
standards on TB screening
and update staff hiring
procedures regarding TB
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on a review of 5 children's records and interview, the center did not ensure that 2 records contained the required information.
1. The records of child #1 (DOE:4/11/2022) and child #3 (DOE:6/27/2022) did not contain complete emergency contact information. The records are required to contain the name, address, and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent could not be reached.
2. Administration acknowledged that child #1's record was missing a second contact and child #3's record listed a parent as an emergency contact.
Plan of Correction: Administration will make
sure all children records
contained the required
Administration will follow up
with parents of child #1 and
child #3 to obtain complete
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. On the playground, a wooden platform structure was observed that contained deteriorating wood. There was a wooden plank that had shifted and posed a tripping hazard. An outdoor classroom door had chipped and peeling paint in an area accessible to the children.
2. Administration acknowledged that the areas required maintenance to be safe.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review
playground safety with staff.
Teachers will be responsible
for reporting any unsafe
materials or chipped paint
Administration will remove
wooden platform from
playground and repair all
chipped peeling paint.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that hazardous substances such as cleaning materials were kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. Unlocked Clorox wipes were observed on a classroom table in the preschool room and in an unlocked office. The container contained warnings to include physical and chemical hazard and hazard to humans.
2. Administration acknowledged that the cleaning wipes were not locked.
Plan of Correction: Staff will make sure
is locked away. Lead
Teachers will walk around
the center before opening
and closing of the day to
make sure no hazardous
substance are left out.
Director will follow up with a
walk around the building to
make sure nothing is left out.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-5 Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that the required school age ratio was maintained when children were in care. The school age ratio for children school age eligible-9 years is 1:18.
1. Two teachers were observed with 20 school age children. One teacher left for approximately 15 minutes leaving one teacher with 20 children ranging in age from 5-9 years.
2. Administration acknowledged that the classroom was out of ratio due to the teacher having to step out for 15 minutes.
Plan of Correction: School age teacher had a
family emergency and
needed to leave for a few
minutes. Teachers will
make sure in the event of a
emergency there is another
staff member to replace
staff. Staff will review ratios
and make sure they stay in
compliance with license
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.