1841 London Bridge Road
Virginia beach, VA 23453
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sampson (757) 354-7307
Inspection Date: July 8, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
The licensing inspector conducted an unannounced complaint inspection in response to a complaint that was received in the licensing regarding allegations in the area of supervision and nutrition. Interviews were conducted with staff, records reviewed and observations of the program were made relating to the allegation. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation the center did not ensure areas and equipment of the center were maintained in a safe condition.
A cubby shelf in the 2 year-old room was not secured, posing a tipping hazard. Video footage revealed a child in the classroom climbing the cubby shelf which had heavy blocks on the shelves. The cubby was observed rocking back and forth as the child climbed it.
Plan of Correction: This classroom was reset and re equipped the week of 6/29 and 7/5 to avoid further incidents with shelving. Staff have been retrained on programming and engagement. Management and the DM are conducting regular unannounced classroom observations to ensure compliance.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation and interviews the center did not ensure staff provided the children with care, protection and guidance.
1. On 06/23/2022, around 4:45pm a 2 year-old , Child #1, was tackled by another child, leaving scratches on his neck. Around 4 minutes later Child #1 was tackled by a different child and then bitten multiple times, leaving 12 marks on his back. It was reported neither of the 2 staff members witnessed the incidents.
2. Reportedly, Staff B heard Child #1 make a noise and discovered him on the floor being bitten by another child. Video footage shows Staff B separating the two children. Staff B lifts the child's shirt, revealing multiple red marks on Child #1's back.
3. When Staff B tried to get the attention of the lead teacher, Staff A, continued to talk with a parent and did not acknowledge Staff B right away. When Staff B does look up, she takes Child #1 and holds him until Housekeeping enters the classroom. Staff A never lifted the child's shirt or looked for any injuries.
Plan of Correction: Staff A has been retrained and reassigned to another classroom as of July 6, 2022. See responses to 340 F
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observations and interviews the center did not ensure children under 10 years of age were within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. On 06/23/2020 around 4:45pm, Child #1 was not in sight supervision of staff when he was tackled by a another child behind a cubby shelf, and then bitten multiple times leaving 12 red bite marks on his back.
2. Video footage shows Staff A talking to a parent with her back turned from the entire classroom and Staff B sitting in a chair watching the Ipad with 2 of the 10 children in her lap.
Plan of Correction: Corrected on 07/01/2022. All Staff in this classroom have been retrained on proper positioning and classroom management. In addition the classroom has been reset to ensure better visibility and engagement. Center management and the district manager do regular unannounced classroom observations to ensure compliance. A new lead for this classroom starts 7/25/2022
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-P Complaint related: No Description: Based on a record review and interviews the center did not ensure a written record of children's serious and minor injuries were maintained and included all required components.
An injury report dated 06/23/2022 did not include the following:
1. Any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury
2. Documentation on how parent was notified
3. The injury report states Staff A applied ice and washed the child's injuries, however, video footage and interview reveal Staff A did not administer first aid to the child. It was reported administration provided first aid to the injured child.
Plan of Correction: Management ordered the wrong VA incident/accident reports. As of 6/29/22 all have been retrained on how to request the correct forms and properly fill them out. DM is requesting regular incident reports to ensure compliance.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.