Hoppy Polliwogs Daycare
15 Cave Street
Luray, VA 22835
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman (540) 430-9257
Inspection Date: July 26, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
A monitoring inspection was conducted on July 26, 2022 from 12:50 P.M.-3:15 P.M. There were 44 children present, ranging in ages from 3 months to 12 years of age, with nine staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of five child records and five staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Licensing Inspector at 540-430-9257.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-40-D-6 Description: Based on a review of staff files, the center failed to ensure that the national fingerprint check was not completed more than 90 days prior to the date of employment.
1. Staff #1's date of hire was 05/18/2022. The national fingerprint background check on file was dated 10/15/2021.
2. Administration verified the date of employment for Staff #1 and the date on the background check.
Plan of Correction: We plan to have previous applicants get fingerprints redone if it has been completed more than 90 days prior to hire.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: Based on a review of staff records, the center failed to ensure that a sworn disclosure statement was completed and on file prior to the first date of employment.
1. Staff #2's date of employment was 07/11/2022. There was no documentation in the file that a sworn disclosure statement had been completed.
2. Administration verified the date of employment, and that there was not a completed sworn disclosure statement on file.
Plan of Correction: We plan to make a checklist of required documents for staff to ensure nothing is forgotten and everything is required is in the file.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on a review of children records, the center failed to ensure all required information was kept in a child's file.
1. Child #1's, #2's, #4's and #5's file did not contain the date of enrollment.
2. Child #1's file only contained one of the two required emergency contact information.
3. Staff verified that the records were missing the date of enrollment, and emergency contact information.
Plan of Correction: Children's records were reviewed after the inspection and enrollment dates added. The parent/guardian will be notified of additional information needed for the emergency contact.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on review of staff files, the center failed to ensure all required information was kept in a staff file.
1. Staff #1's date of employment was 05/18/22. There was no documentation of references being completed prior to the date of employment.
2. Staff #2's date of employment was 07/11/2022. There was no documentation of references being completed prior to the date of employment.
3. Administration verified that the documentation for the reference checks were not in the file nor could be located.
Plan of Correction: Staff will have a checklist of required documentation so nothing is missing and the file is complete.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-260-A Description: Based on review of the fire inspection, the center failed to ensure an annual fire inspection was conducted.
1. The last documented fire inspection was dated 11/24/2020.
2. Administration verified that it was last fire inspection completed, and they did not follow up with the fire marshal since the March 2022 mandated inspection in regards to getting a new inspection completed.
Plan of Correction: Administration contacted the Fire Marshal and has an inspection scheduled for 07/27/2022.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-450-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that rest mats used by preschool age children during rest time shall have linens consisting of a top cover and a bottom cover.
1. In Classroom #4 there four children on cots that did not have a bottom cover.
2. Staff verified that the cots did not have a bottom cover.
Plan of Correction: Staff will be reminded to replace cots if missing as cots are laid out for naptime. Additional sheets will be ordered to have as extras if needed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-D Description: Based on review of documentation, the center failed to implement monthly practice evacuation drills.
1. There was no documentation of a monthly evacuation drill completed for 2/2022, 3/2022, 4/2022, 5/2022 and 06/2022.
2. Administration verified that they could not locate the documentation of the evacuation drills that had been completed.
Plan of Correction: Plan to create a binder specifically for inspection documents, so documents can always be presented and accessible.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.