Great Bridge/Hickory Family YMCA
633 South Battlefield Boulevard
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Current Inspector: Rene Old (757) 404-1784
Inspection Date: Aug. 1, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 08/01/2022 from 11:40 am - 2:15 pm. At the time of the tour there were 131 school age children in care with 15 teaching staff. Children were observed swimming, eating lunch and engaged in large motor games in the gym.
Records were reviewed for five children and five staff.
Violations were found in the areas of staff background checks, administration, physical plant, special care provisions and special services. These violations are listed on the violation notice and were reviewed with administrative staff at the conclusion of the inspection.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to obtain the results of a fingerprint background check for staff prior to employment.
1. Staff 2, hire date 06/20/2022, lacks the results of a fingerprint background check.
2. Administrative staff confirmed that a fingerprint background check was not on file for staff 2.
Plan of Correction: Administrative staff stated she thought a fingerprint background check had been obtained for staff 2 however, she was not able to locate it from the email of another employee. If this background check can not be located - staff 2 will obtain another one.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that an employee of a licensed child day program must not be employed until the agency has the person's completed sworn statement or affirmation.
1. There was no sworn statement or affirmation for staff 6 who began employment on 07/18/2022.
2. Administrative staff confirmed that a sworn statement or affirmation was not on file for staff 6.
Plan of Correction: Staff 8 will complete a sworn statement or affirmation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to obtain a central registry finding within 30 days of employment for staff.
1. Staff 2, Staff 3, Staff 4 and Staff 5, hire date 06/20/2022, lacked the findings of a central registry check.
2. Administrative staff confirmed that the findings of a central registry check were not on filed for these staff.
Plan of Correction: Central Registry Checks have been requested for all staff. Administrative staff will follow up with OBI to check status of these outstanding background checks.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that each staff member shall submit documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening at the time of employment and prior to coming into contact with children.
1. Staff 1, hire date 06/20/2022, lacked written documentation of a TB screening.
2. Staff 2, hire date 06/20/2022, lacked written documentation of a TB screening.
3. Administrative staff confirmed that a TB screening was not on file for staff 1 and staff 2.
Plan of Correction: A TB screening will be obtained for both staff.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-M Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to maintain, in a way that is accessible to all staff who work with children, a current written list of all children's allergies, sensitivities, and dietary restrictions documented in the allergy plan required in 8VAC20-780-60 A 8. This list shall be dated and kept confidential in each room or area where children are present.
1. The written allergy list, which was not dated, was stored in the camp office.
a. Children are cared for in various indoor and outdoor areas of the facility.
2. Administrative staff stated a copy of the allergy list had not been provided to staff.
Plan of Correction: The allergy list will be revised to include a current date and current children in care. This list will be distributed to all staff.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that staff records contain all of the required elements.
1. Staff 1, hire date 6/20/2022, lacked documentation of two written reference checks as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment.
2. Staff 1, staff 3, staff 4 and staff 5 , hire date 6/20/2022 , lacked documentation to demonstrate that the individual possesses the education, certification and experience required by the job position.
a. These staff were observed working in a program leader position during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: Written reference checks and written documentation of program leader qualifications will be added to all staff files.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that hazardous substances such as cleaning materials, shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. The cabinet, containing a spray bottle of disinfectant, in the multipurpose classroom was not locked.
2. A bottle of hand sanitizer was observed stored on a shelf in the multipurpose classroom.
a. Children were observed in this classroom during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: Chemicals were locked away during the inspection. Staff will be reminded to keep the cabinet in the multipurposed room locked.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-G Description: Based on a review of medication the center failed to ensure that medication shall be labeled with the child's name.
Two bottles of over-the-counter medication were not labeled with the child's name.
Plan of Correction: Both medications were labeled during the inspection.
Both medications were stored in a labeled bag however, going forward all over-the-counter medications will be labeled.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-560-G Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that when food is brought from home the food container shall be clearly dated.
10 of 10 lunch containers reviewed were not dated.
Plan of Correction: Laminated calendars have been placed on each child's lunch box. Staff will check each morning, when child arrives, to ensure the date has been checked on the calendar.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.