Frog Pond Early Learning Center
7204 Harrison Lane
Alexandria, VA 22306
Current Inspector: Tameika King (804) 629-7486
Inspection Date: Sept. 28, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed with the provider: monitoring outdoor space for fallen branches, standing water, and rusting equipment
An unannounced Monitoring Inspection took place on 09/28/2022 between the hours of approximately 9:30 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. There were 6 classrooms observed with a total of 58 children with 12 staff within the supervision guidelines. The children were observed painting leaves, playing on the playground, playing in the garden, preparing to go on a nature walk and other organized activities. Positive interaction between staff and children were observed. A complete inspection of the physical plant and outdoor space and children and staff records procedures were completed during this inspection. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your cooperation during the inspection.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-C Description: Based on record review and staff interview, staff members did not obtain and submit the results of a follow-up tuberculosis (TB) screening at least every two years from the date of the initial screening or testing.
1. Staff #1?s most recent TB screening was dated 12/13/2019.
2. Staff #2?s most recent TB screening was dated 07/04/2020.
3. Staff #3?s most recent TB screening was dated 01/11/2020.
4. Staff #4?s most recent TB screening was dated 02/28/2019.
5. Staff #5 stated that the staff were asked to complete new TB screenings by 10/03/2022.
Plan of Correction: Staff have been asked to submit new TB screenings by 10/03/2022
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were not maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. There were multiple areas of chipped paint located on the back wall and under the loft in the Frogs classroom.
2. There was paint peeling on the wall by the sink in the Tadpoles bathroom.
3. There were three loose paver stones in ?The Meadow? that were tripping hazards to the children.
4. There were rotting tree stumps with splintered wood located in ?The Meadow? accessible to children.
5. There was a hole in the grass of the ?The Meadow? creating a tripping hazard to the children.
6. There were loose, rotting tree stumps located in the ?Great Aunt Maple? area.
Plan of Correction: I will ask staff no to put tape on the walls and will have volunteers come in and paint the chipped areas. We will remove the pavers and tree stumps and fill the hole with dirt.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, hazardous substances were not kept in a locked place.
Evidence: In the Tadpoles bathroom, a spray bottle containing a bleach/water solution was located on an open shelf accessible to children.
Plan of Correction: I will re-train the staff and will sure it is locked away.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-E Description: Based on observation and staff interview, sandboxes with bottoms which prevent drainage were not covered when not in use.
1. The sandbox located in the ?Cherry Pink Space? had a tarp across the sand, but was not completely covered. The sandbox was not in use.
2. The sandbox box located in ?Toad Mountain? was not covered. The sandbox was not in use.
3. Staff #5 stated that the sandbox in ?Cherry Pink Space? and ?Toad Mountain? do not have a way to drain.
Plan of Correction: I will re-train the closing staff on covering the sandbox. I will replace the coverings with ones that latch.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.