Hoppy Polliwogs Daycare, LLC
15 Cave Street
Luray, VA 22835
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman (540) 430-9257
Inspection Date: Sept. 29, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A complaint inspection was conducted on September 29, 2022 from 9:45 A.M.-12:30 P.M. A complaint was received in the Office of Child Care Health & Safety (Valley) on September 19, 2022 regarding forbidden action and behavior guidance. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, staffing and supervision, programming and special services. Two children records, and two staff records were reviewed. Four interviews were conducted, and classroom observations of all classrooms took place.
The information gathered during the inspection did not determine preponderance of evidence. Therefore, the complaint is not valid.
There were other violations that were not in compliance with applicable standard or laws. Those violations were noted on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Licensing Inspector at 540-430-9257.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Complaint related: No Description: Based on a review of staff records, the center failed to ensure that an out of state criminal history background check was completed in the required timeframe for any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff #1's sworn disclosure statement dated 09/12/2022, indicated they had lived in two other states beside Virginia in the preceding five years.
2. There was not a completed out of state criminal history background check conducted for one of the states. The background check was required to be completed and on file prior to the date of hire. Staff #1's date of hire was 09/14/2022.
3. Administration verified that the background check has not been completed.
Plan of Correction: Director will check staff files weekly. Director will review all paperwork that staff complete and do correct protocol. Background checks have been sent out. Please provide the licensing inspector with evidence that the background has been completed or sent out within 10 business days.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on review of children records, the center failed to ensure that all required information was in children's records.
1. Child #1's record was missing the full address for the child and guardian, and the address for the designated emergency contacts.
2. Child #2's record was missing the address for the designated emergency contacts.
3. Administration verified the records were missing required information.
Plan of Correction: Director is completing an audit on all files.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Complaint related: No Description: Based on a review of staff records, the center failed to ensure that all required information was in the staff record.
1. Staff #1's date of hire was 09/14/2022, the file did not contain documentation of identification of age requirement, and the name, address, and telephone number of a person to be notified in an emergency.
2. Administration verified that the file was missing emergency contact information and documentation of identification.
Plan of Correction: Director created an emergency contact form and had all employees fill it out.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-80-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and review of attendance records, the center failed to ensure that in each group there was a written record of attendance that documents the arrival and departure of each child in care as it occurs.
1. In all four classroom there was not an attendance record that documented the arrival and departure of each child as it occurs.
2. There was a sign in/out book located at the front desk. Classroom #3 and Classroom #4 did not take an attendance record with them while they were on the field trip to the park and library.
Plan of Correction: Clipboards with children name, time of arrival and time of departure put into all classrooms daily.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-420-E-3 Complaint related: No Description: Based on a review of children records, the center failed to ensure that at least annually parent confirmation that the required information in the child's record is up to date.
1. Child #1's date of enrollment was 01/06/2020. The signed registration form by the parent was dated 01/06/2020. There was no documentation that the information had been reviewed and updated annually.
2. Administration verified that an update of information for Child #1 had not been completed since 01/06/2020.
Plan of Correction: Director will complete audit on all children's file.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that over-the-counter skins products shall not be kept beyond the expiration date of the product.
On the half wall between Classroom #1 and Classroom #2 there was a container of Desitin Diaper Ointment that expired in August 2022.
Plan of Correction: Expiration dates will be checked upon receiving over the counter skin products and check monthly.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-540-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that a first aid kit was taken on walking field trips.
1. Classroom #3 and Classroom #4 were on a walking field trip to the park and the library. When the classrooms arrived back to the center the Licensing Inspector did not see a first aid kit.
2. Staff #3 verified that they had not taken a first aid kit with them on the field trip.
Plan of Correction: Staff reminded to take a first aid kit on all field trips.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.