Community Child Care, Incorporated
32 Park Boulevard
Staunton, VA 24401
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Jan. 4, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 1/4/2023 from 10:15 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. There were 26 children present, ranging in ages from 2 to 5 years old, with 7 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of 5 child records and 6 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-A Description: Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to obtain documentation that two children received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the children attended the center.
1. Child #1 was in attendance at the time of the inspection and there was no documentation of immunization in the child?s record.
2. Child #4 was in attendance at the time of the inspection and there was no documentation of immunization in the child?s record.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that there was no documentation of immunizations in either record.
Plan of Correction: Checked files. Got documentation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on review of records and interviews, the center failed to ensure that each child had a physical examination before the child?s attendance or within 30 days after the first day of attendance.
1. The record for Child #4 did not include a physical examination, nor first date of attendance.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that Child #4 was in attendance on the date of the inspection and had been in attendance for more than 30 days.
3. Staff # 1 confirmed that there was not a physical examination on file for Child #4.
Plan of Correction: Documents added to files.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that each child?s record contained the first date of attendance.
1. The records for Child #1, #2, #3, and #4 did not contain the first date of attendance.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that these records did not contain the first date of attendance was not in these records.
Plan of Correction: Added checklist to incoming files with start date.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that hazardous materials were kept in a locked place.
1. Glade air freshener, Great Value Sanitizing wipes and Clorox Fabric Sanitizing spray were observed in an unlocked cabinet in Classroom #1.
2. Four bottles of laundry detergent, one bottle of carpet cleaner and Borax were observed in the unlocked laundry room in classroom #1.
3. Staff #6 confirmed that the ages of the children in Classroom #1 were 2-3 years old and that cabinet and laundry room were unlocked.
Plan of Correction: New locks on doors. Staff told to lock up materials.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-B Description: 8VAC20-780-510-B: B2
Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that prescription medication was given to a child only with written authorization from the parent.
1. The authorization form for Medication #1 was not signed by the parent. Documentation revealed that the prescription medication was being administered daily.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that the prescription medication had been administered without a parent signature on the authorization form.
Plan of Correction: Get signature on form. Make sure form is fill out in future.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-D Description: Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to implement monthly practice evacuation drills.
Documentation revealed that there was no evacuation drill practice in December of 2022.
Staff #1 confirmed that there was no evacuation drill practice in December of 2022.
Plan of Correction: Put dates on calendar. Write it down.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-E Description: Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that Shelter-In-Place procedures were practiced at least twice per year.
1. Documentation revealed that for the year 2022, shelter-in-place procedures were practiced only on 8/10/2022.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that shelter-in-place procedures were only practiced once in 2022.
Plan of Correction: Put date on calendar. Write it down.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-P Description: Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that the written record of children?s injuries included all required information.
1. Injury report #1 was missing the date of the injury, time that the parent was notified of the injury, and documentation on how the parent was notified.
2. Injury report #2 was missing future action to prevent recurrence of the injury.
3.Staff #1 confirmed these items were missing from the injury reports.
Plan of Correction: Fill out form completely.
Standard #: 8VAC20-790-550-2-a Description: Based on interview and review of records, the center failed to ensure that Criminal History check results were received before the staff?s first day of employment.
1. Staff #3?s first day of employment was 11/30/2022.
2. Criminal History check results were received on 12/13/2022.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that the Criminal History results were not received before Staff #3?s first day of employment.
Plan of Correction: We had the right process. Needed info back from portability.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.