Chesapeake Montessori School
2013 Scenic Parkway
Chesapeake, VA 23323
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Feb. 6, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A renewal inspection was conducted on 2/6/23 from 11:30am until 1:50pm. At the time of the inspection, there were 81 children in care with 17 staff present. A sample of 5 children's records and 5 staff/board member records were reviewed. Children were observed participating in learning activities, playing outside on the playground, eating lunch and resting quietly during nap time. Lunch service procedures, handwashing and restroom procedures were also observed. First aid and emergency supplies, the emergency preparedness plan, documentation of emergency practice drills, medication and required center postings were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law. Violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were discussed with the Head of School during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that a copy of the results of a criminal history record information check and a search of the child abuse and neglect registry is obtained from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff 1 (date of hire: 9/20/22) indicated on her sworn statement or affirmation that she has resided in the states of Alabama and North Carolina within the past five years. The record for staff 1 does not contain the results of a criminal history record information check or a search of the child abuse and neglect registry from the state of Alabama or a search of the child abuse and neglect registry from the state of North Carolina.
2. The Head of School confirmed that the required background checks for staff 1 were not obtained from the states of Alabama and North Carolina.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The background checks for staff 1 will be requested from the states of Alabama and North Carolina. Once received, the results will be forwarded to the licensing inspector and placed in staff 1's record. Going forward, administrative staff will ensure all out-of-state background checks are completed within the required timeframes.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that staff records contain all the required information.
1. The records for staff 1 (date of hire: 9/20/22) and staff 2 (date of hire: 9/9/22) do not contain documentation that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment.
2. The Head of School confirmed that the records for staff 1 and staff 2 are lacking the required reference checks.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Reference checks will be obtained as soon as possible for staff 1 and staff 2. Going forward, administrative staff will ensure the required reference checks are obtained for all staff.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that hazardous substances, such as cleaning materials, shall be kept in a locked place suing a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. There were 2 containers of disinfecting wipes sitting on top of the paper towel dispenser in the boys' bathroom in one of the children's house classrooms and 1 container of disinfecting wipes sitting on top of the paper towel dispenser in the girls' bathroom in one of the children's house classrooms and were accessible to the children in care.
2. The Head of School confirmed that there were unlocked disinfecting wipes in the bathrooms of one of the children's house classrooms.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The disinfecting wipes were moved to a locked cabinet during the inspection. Staff were reminded that all cleaning substances are to be locked up when not in use.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.