Congregation Sha'are Shalom
19357 Evergreen Mills Road
Leesburg, VA 20175
VDSS Contact: Maria Robles-Lopez (703) 397-3827
Inspection Date: June 1, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22.1 Religious Exempt; Background Checks Code; Carbon Monoxide
32.1 Report by person other than physician
54.1 Must be MAT Certified.
63.2 Child abuse and neglect
8VAC20-770 Background Checks
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed the following with the facility representative:
*Ensure that potentially hazardous substances (like cleaning agents) are not accessible to children.
*Children should not be walking while eating or drinking to prevent choking.
*Staff's purses should be stored in areas that are inaccessible to children to prevent from children having access to things like cosmetics, medication or other hazards.
*Ensure to post the most recent exemption certificate (January 2022).
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) assumed oversight of child care licensing and monitoring on July 1, 2021. All associated regulations and codes have transferred over from the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Guidance, resources, model forms and training links can be found on the website childcareva.com.
A code compliance inspection was conducted on 06/01/2022 between the hours of approximately 10:20 am and 11:50 am. There were 23 children present, ranging in ages from 2 to 4 years, with 6 staff directly supervising. All groupings were in ratio. The inspector observed the children playing in the playground and having lunch.
The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, and medication. There was no medication on site on this date. A total of 3 children?s records and 4 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable code sections and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact the Licensing Inspector, Maria Robles at Maria.Robles@doe.virginia.gov.
Standard #: 22.1-289.031-A-6 Description: Based on observation and interview with staff, written information in regards to aspects of the program's operations were not provided to parents as required.
1) A written statement with information in regards to physical facilities, enrollment capacity, food services, health requirements for the staff, and public liability insurance was not available for review. 2) Staff #2 could not confirm whether or not this information was provided to the parents in writing and made available to the general public.
Plan of Correction: We have the required info in our Parent Handbook which is available online.
Standard #: 22.1-289.031-B-5 Description: Based on observation and interview with staff, all areas of the premises accessible to children were not free of obvious injury hazards.
1. The following containers were observed located on top of shelves or desks low enough for children to have access to it:
a] In the 3's classroom, a bottle of Clorox wipes and a bottle of hand sanitizer.
b] Two bottles of hand sanitizer in the 2's classroom.
c] On a desk outside of the administrator's office.
2. Plastic bags were observed on the floor, next to the toilet of the 2's classroom.
3. Electrical outlets without a protective cover were observed in the 2's classroom and in the hall outside of the administrator's office. Staff #2 stated that this hall is used by children as an indoor play area on rainy days.
Plan of Correction: We have had a staff meeting to address these issues and made sure all is out of reach. We will monitor this daily when school starts.
We will speak to cleaning staff about replacing covers after vacum and will monitor daily. We have purchased additional covers.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-40-D-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that Central Registry search results are obtained every five years for employees.
1) The most recent Central Registry search request results available in the records for Staff #1 was dated 2002, for Staff #2 was dated 2019, and for Staff #3 was dated 2014.
2) For Staff #4 (start date 08/2021), Central Registry search results were not obtained by the end of the 30th day of employment. There were no results available for review in Staff #4's record.
3) Staff #2 stated that these background checks had not been requested.
Plan of Correction: All staff will submit new Central Registry paperwork ASAP. It will be complete before school starts in September 2022.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.