The GR Program is an optional local program designed to provide assistance to children that are living with unrelated adults. It is financed by state funding (62.5 percent) and local funding (37.5 percent). State funding is authorized by the General Assembly and local funds are authorized by the local governing bodies. Over and above these amounts, agencies may use 100 percent local-only funds to meet additional needs. Each agency determines the criteria for the use of local-only funds.
Section 63.1-106 of the Code of Virginia provides the legal base for this program. Localities opting to participate in this program complete a General Relief Plan. These are written plans that must be approved by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
- Appeal to State Department of Social Services (PDF)
- Application for Benefits (PDF)
- Benefit Programs Brochure (PDF)
- Notification of Change (DOC)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Application to Add New Assistance Members (PDF)