Code of Virginia Requirements
§63.2-1726 - Every residential facility for juveniles which is regulated or operated by the Department of Social Services; the Department of Education; or the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services shall conduct a criminal history record check and a child protective services central registry search on the following:
- Any individual who accepts a position of employment who was not employed by that facility prior to July 1, 1994.
- Volunteer for such a facility on a regular basis and who will be alone with a juvenile in the performance of his duties who was not a volunteer at such facility prior to July 1, 1994.
- Contractual employee providing services directly to a juvenile for such facility on a regular basis and who will be alone with a juvenile in the performance of his duties who did not provide such services prior to July 1, 1994.
As of July 1, 2007, anyone who is hired or is approved to provide volunteer or contractual services on a regular basis and will be alone with children:
- Cannot work with children until the criminal history background check has been received by the facility.
- Cannot work alone with children until the central registry search has been received by the facility.
- Cannot be hired or allowed to provide volunteer or contractual services if the individual has been convicted of a barrier crime as found in §63.2-1726 of the Code of Virginia complaint regarding child abuse or neglect.
Any individual who completes a background investigation under §63.2-1726 as of 7/1/2007 for a children's residential facility would also be in compliance with §37.2-416, §37.2-314 and §37.2-408.1 of the Code of Virginia.
Guidance & Procedures
Obtaining Criminal Background Results