The Child Care and Development Block Grant Act (CCDBG) of 2014 requires specific health and safety topics to be addressed for unlicensed child day programs receiving subsidy from the Child Care Development Fund (CCDF). These requirements promote the health, safety and well-being of children in care including, but not limited to, comprehensive background checks, orientation and annual training, and inspections.
For a view of the Division of Licensing Programs at-a-glance Health and Safety Inspections pamphlet, click here.
Unlicensed programs receiving subsidy must meet the program requirements established for approved subsidy vendors. The Division of Licensing - Children's Programs will inspect the programs to determine compliance with program requirements.
Advantages of becoming a licensed provider include having:
- Access to a licensing inspector who is available to answer questions and lend support;
- Added resources and training opportunities; and
- A free listing of your child care program on the Department of Social Services public web site which is used by parents when searching for child care.
For information about becoming an approved child care subsidy vendor, click here.
Vendor Agreements/Inspection Requirements
- Request for Search of the Child Protective Services Central Registry (PDF)
- Sworn Statement or Affirmation for Child Day Programs (PDF)
Guidance & Procedures
- Barrier Crimes (PDF)
- Convictions Requiring Registration in the Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry
- Criminal Background Checks (conducted by Virginia State Police)
- Other States - Instructions for Out of State CPS Searches (PDF)
- Other States - Request for Search of the CPS Central Registry (PDF)
- State Police Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry
- 2017/05/08: Fingerprint Based Background Checks for Child Day Programs (PDF)
- 2017/06/28: Child Care Legisative Update Senate Bill 1008 (PDF)
- 2017/06/28: Child Care Legisative Update- SB1008 and HB1568 (PDF)
- 2017/06/28: Child Care Legislative Update House Bill 1568 (PDF)
- 2017/07/14: Code of Virginia Update (PDF)
- 2017/07/17: Child Day Program Barrier Crimes 2017 (PDF)
- 2017/07/24: Fingerprint Based Background Checks for Child Day Programs - #2 (PDF)
- 2017/09/12: New Background Check Compliance Procedures (PDF)
- 2017/10/12: Fingerprint Implementation Memo #3 (PDF)
- 2017/11/08: Reporting an Injury Requiring Outside Medical Treatment-Approved Subsidy Vendors (PDF)
- 2017/11/13: IMPORTANT MESSAGE: Links Have Been Updated - Memo - Reporting an Injury Requiring Outside Medical Treatment-Approved Subsidy Vendors (PDF)
- 2017/11/17: OBI Contact Information (PDF)