Section 63.2-1717 of the Code of Virginia allows preschool programs operated by private schools that are accredited by a statewide accrediting organization (or another accrediting organization recognized by the Board of Education) to be exempt from licensure.
The State Board of Education recognizes the accreditation process for private schools administered through the Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE) Commission on Accreditation. Accrediting organizations that are approved by VCPE administer their own accrediting process for schools in their organizations.
In order for preschool and nursery school programs operated by accredited private schools to be certified, certain information must be filed with VDSS before the beginning of the school year or calendar year. That information must be filed annually thereafter. The information includes, but is not limited to, verification of accreditation or accreditation candidacy, a statement of intent, documentation that the parents or guardians of children in care have received written notification that the preschool is exempt from licensure, documentation that the school requires criminal record clearances on all employees of the preschool, a list of staff qualifications and health and fire inspections reports.
Code of Virginia References
Current CP Providers
- 2013/09/26: Medication Training Updates - Requirements for Child Day Programs (PDF)
- 2013/07/25: REMINDER Announcing New MAT Diabetes and Emergency Rectal Medication Administration Courses (PDF)
- 2013/06/13: Revised List of Barrier Crimes and Sworn Disclosure Form (PDF)
- 2013/05/06: New Medication Training Requirements for Child Day Programs (PDF)
- 2012/07/02: Changes to Child Protective Services Mandated Reporting Law (PDF)
- 2012/06/08: Legislative Update, 2012 (PDF)
- 2011/09/12: Emergency Preparedness: Earthquake Safety Checklist & Helping Children Cope with Disaster (PDF)
- 2010/06/25: Shaken Baby Syndrome (Web page)
(Note: Background Investigations forms are located in the forms section below.)
- Barrier Crimes (PDF)
- Technical Assistance for Background Checks for Child Welfare Agencies & Child Day Centers (PDF)
Guidance & Procedures
- Certification of Preschool Programs Operated by Accredited Private Schools (PDF)
- Criteria for Training (PDF)
- Proof of Child Identity and Age (PDF)
- Request for Search of the Child Protective Services (CPS) Central Registry (PDF)
- Request for Search of the Child Protective Services (CPS) Central Registry (Spanish) (PDF)
- Sworn Statement or Affirmation for Child Day Programs (PDF)