The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (also known as the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare), provides Virginians access to the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace to purchase health insurance. Virginians who are eligible for Medicaid or the Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS) programs continue to remain on those programs. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) does not affect eligibility or enrollment for Medicare beneficiaries.
PPACA & Foster Care Youth - How to Apply Options
- Option 1 - Online through CommonHelp.
- Option 2 - Phone the Cover Virginia Call Center at 1-855-242-8282.
Option 3 - Through your local department of social services:
- Visit the Virginia Department of Social Services Medicaid Forms/Applications page.
- Under "Forms - All Other," Print the application entitled: Cover Virginia Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs (PDF)
- Submit the application to your local department by mail, fax or in person.
Coverage for Former Foster Care Youth
- Community Partners - Help Spread the Word (PDF)
- Community Partners - Publicity Flyer for Distribution (PDF)