Virginia's Insurance Marketplace
Beginning November 1, 2023, visit Virginia's Insurance Marketplace to enroll in a health and/or dental plan. Learn more.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) can be used like cash to buy eligible food items from authorized retailers. Authorized retailers will display either the Quest logo or a picture of a Virginia EBT card.
A SNAP account is established for eligible households and automatic deposits are made into the account each month. To access the account, they will also receive an EBT Card, which will debit the account each time eligible food items are purchased. A secret Personal Identification Number (PIN) is required to use the card.
Eligibility Income Limits
Screening for Eligibility & Applying
- Option 1: Screen for eligibility and/or apply online through CommonHelp
- Option 2: Bypass eligibility screening and submit an application manually. Fill out an "Application for Benefits" from the forms section on this page and return it to your local department of social services.
Please note the following:
- The USDA has temporarily expanded SNAP eligibility for students enrolled at least part-time in a higher education institution.
- A manual application cannot be processed and is not considered complete until it is signed and received by your local department.
- An interview will be required unless you meet the conditions for a . Proof of identity (driver's license or picture I.D.), residence, income, resource and shelter expenses will be required.
- Applications for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or General Relief, are considered an application for SNAP, unless you request otherwise.
- If all members have applied for or get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you may also apply for SNAP at the local Social Security office.
- Appeal to the State Department of Social Services ( PDF)
- Application for Benefits (English) ( PDF)
- Application for Benefits (Spanish) ( PDF)
- Benefit Programs Brochure ( PDF)
- Change Report (English) ( PDF)
- Change Report (Spanish) ( PDF)
- ESAP Flyer (ENG) ( PDF)
- ESAP Flyer (SPA) ( PDF)
- Elderly Simplified Application Project (ENG) ( PDF)
- Elderly Simplified Application Project (SPA) ( PDF)
- Renewal Application for Auxiliary Grant (AG), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) ( PDF)
- Renewal Application for Auxiliary Grant (AG), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) (Spanish) ( PDF)
- SNAP and the Public Charge ( PDF)
- SNAP and the Public Charge (SPA) ( PDF)
- Benefits Appeals
- Benefits Disqualification Hearing
- Choose My Plate
- Civil Rights Policy & Procedures
- EBT - Checking Your Balance ( PDF)
- Eat Right When Money's Tight
- How Benefits are Issued (the EBT Card)
- SNAP Manual
- SNAP Reports
SNAP Legal Basis
- Federal Legal Base - Food and Nutrition Act of 2008
- Federal Regulation Base - 7 CFR, 271 through 283
- State Legal Base - Code of Virginia, Section 63.2-801
SNAP Online Shopping
- SNAP Online Shopping FAQ ( PDF)