You earned it. Get it back.
In times of financial hardship experienced by many during this pandemic, the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC) help families to stabilize their financial situation. These programs provide substantial financial returns up to thousands in money back to account for your unique circumstances.
If you qualify for the EITC, you also qualify to have your taxes prepared for free. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, free tax preparation services this year include options to either file online, or virtually through a remote appointment with an IRS-certified volunteer. Click here to browse free options and learn what's best for you! For additional help deciding which free option is best for you, call 2-1-1. The Virginia Department of Social Services is encouraging eligible individuals to complete their federal and state taxes for 2020 as soon as possible. While the tax filing deadline was May 17th, you can continue to file throughout the year!
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is for working people who earn less than $56,844. If you meet the general guidelines, your earned income must be less than
- $15,820 ($21,710 if married filing a joint return) with no qualifying children
- $41,756 ($47,646 if married filing a joint return) with one qualifying child
- $47,440 ($53,330 if married filing a joint return) with two qualifying children
- $50,594 ($56,844 if married filing a joint return) with three or more qualifying children
Use this EITC Calculator to see your projected EITC amount.
Click here to learn more.Investment Income Limit
Your investment income must be $3,650 or less for the year.Maximum Credit Amounts
- $6,660 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,920 with two qualifying children
- $3,584 with one qualifying child
- $538 with no qualifying children
Use this Child Tax Credit Calculator to calculate your expected Child Tax Credit.
In most cases, EITC payments will not be used to determine eligibility for Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), low-income housing or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) payments.
Free Tax Preparation Assitance
While the tax deadline is May 17th, you can continue to file throughout the year.
File Virtually On Your Own
Using MyFreeTaxes or any
of the options provided by
Virginia Free File, choose the course of action that best suits your circumstances.
These sites allow you to file your taxes directly online, guiding
you through a series of prompts and questions about your finances
until you've completed the tax filing process.
Several options, such as MyFreeTaxes, offer an assistance hotline.
File Virtually with an IRS-certified volunteer
Go to www.getyourrefund.org/vdss and begin filing using a smartphone, tablet, or computer with internet access!
- Answer questions
- The website will direct you through a series of questions about your finances.
- Upload all necessary documents (ID, W-2's, 1099, 1095-A,B,C).
- Your tax preparer will review everything with you over the phone via call or text - the choice is yours! Make sure to have a reliable contact number for your remote appointment.
- Your tax preparer will help you to file electronically.
File at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA) Site Through a Virtual or In-Person Appointment*
*Virtual Capacity varies from site to site; many VITA sites operating with limited capacity after the May 17th tax deadline.
If you would like to visit a physical site for free tax preparation, you can use the following IRS VITA Site Locator, dial 2-1-1, or visit www.211virginia.org to find a location near you.
Please keep in mind that all VITA sites are all different, and that many have adjusted operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Many sites are not conducting on-site tax preparation as in past years, and many more are operating at a modified and/or limited capacity for the same reason.
Several VITA sites have the capacity for virtual appointments on a limited basis. Please refer to the service details for the VITA site of your choice provided on the VITA Site Locator.