The Virginia Social Services System relies on a dedicated and competent workforce to assist its customers in working towards self-reliance. Cultivating a diverse workforce capable of accomplishing the system's mission is a key strategy of the Virginia Department of Social Services (Department) and Local Departments of Social Services (LDSS) and one that requires the commitment of Department and local partners throughout the Commonwealth. Part of that strategy is to manage the workforce in a fair and equitable manner, consistent with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
Employees of LDSS are employees of their locality. The Administrative/Human Resources Manual for LDSS (hereafter called "Manual") sets forth policies and procedures for LDSS that follow the Department's personnel policies. The Manual recognizes that the LDSS abide by all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations affecting employment. In the case of any conflict between these policies and law, the applicable legal requirements will prevail.
- Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 01 - Equal Employment Opportunity, Disability Accommodation & Affirmative Action (PDF)
- Chapter 02 - Classification & Compensation (PDF)
- Chapter 03 - Recruitment & Selection (PDF)
- Chapter 04 - Leave (PDF)
- Chapter 05 - Operations of the LDSS (PDF)
- Chapter 06 - Performance Evaluation & Standards of Conduct (PDF)
- Chapter 07 - Discipline & Termination of Employment (PDF)
- Chapter 07 - Layoff Matrix (DOC)
- Chapter 08 - Personnel Records (PDF)
- Local Board Actions (PDF)
- LDSS Profile Summary (PDF)