Earthsong Community School
227 North Lewis Street
Lexington, VA 24450
Current Inspector: Jensen Mellnick (540) 309-2051
Inspection Date: Oct. 1, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
An unannounced monitoring inspection took place today, October 1, 2019, beginning at 9:20 AM and ending at 1:00 PM. There were 22 children in care today with five staff providing care and supervision. There were no medications onsite during the inspection. The playground area and all rooms that are used for care were inspected, as were five children's records and all five staff records. The inspector looked at first aid and emergency supplies, drill documentation, and required health and fire inspections. The children were observed during snack time, learning about planets, using fine motor skills during play, counting, lunch, preparation for nap time and outside time. There were discussions about staff and children's records and the first aid kit. Violations were discussed during this inspection. If you have any questions in the future, please contact your inspector, Jensen Mellnick, at (540)309-2051.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that staff resubmit TB results every 2 years.
1. Staff (2 and 5) had listed TB test results dates of 09/12/2017.
2. Staff (1) had a listed TB test result date of 03/13/2017.
Plan of Correction: Staff have appointments this afternoon or October 12, 2019.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on observations and discussion, the center failed to ensure that each center shall maintain and keep at the center a separate record for each child enrolled which shall contain all the elements as required by the standards.
1. Child (3) and child (4) were missing information regarding chronic physical problems and pertinent developmental information and any special accommodations needed. The line for that information was blank.
2. Child (3) was missing information regarding person authorized to pick up the child. The line for that information was blank.
3. Child (1) was missing documentation of viewing proof of the child's identity and age.
Plan of Correction: Staff plans to review files and paperwork more thoroughly upon receipt.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. Back steps leading to the play area, from the back door, are cracked and deteriorating and could pose as pinch points or other injury. There were approximately 3-4 steps that are in need of repair.
Plan of Correction: Staff will have the three steps replaced.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-F Description: Based on observation and discussion with staff, the center failed to ensure that a 911 or local dial number for police, fire and emergency medical services and the number of the regional poison control center shall be posted in a visible place at each telephone.
1. The LI could not locate emergency numbers; when he asked staff where the numbers were located, staff opened a cabinet door and stated that the numbers are normally posted within the cabinet. The cabinet had been replaced and the numbers had not been posted within the new cabinet yet.
Plan of Correction: Staff posted numbers during the inspection.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.