Little Tin Soldiers Educational Center
199 East Mercury Boulevard
Hampton, VA 23669
Current Inspector: Michele Patchett (757) 439-6816
Inspection Date: Jan. 14, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on January 14, 2020. There were 12 children present upon arrival to the center with three staff members. Additional staff arrived during the inspection. The inspection was conducted from 10:19am-2:15pm. The children were observed participating in table activities. Six children's records were reviewed. Six staff records were reviewed. Medications are currently not being administered. The exit interview was conducted with the Program Director.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on record review and staff interview, the licensee did not ensure within one month after attendance each child had a physical examination.
Child #1 (start date3/16/2018) did not have documentation of physical examination in the record. Staff #1 was unable to provide the document.
Plan of Correction: The parent turned in the physical to the center.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-I Description: Based on record review, the licensee did not ensure they had a written procedures for injury prevention.
Staff #1 was unable to provide a written procedures for injury prevention plan and did not have knowledge of having a written injuty prevention plan.
Plan of Correction: Owner provided a written injury prevention plan on January 15, 2020. It was scorrected.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, in two of five children's records reviewed, the licensee did not ensure that each child's record was maintained with all required information.
The following items were missing in the children's records:
- Child #1 did not have document of first date attendance.
- Child #3 did not have document of first date of attendance and both emergency contact did not have a complete addresses including the street name and number, city state and zipcode.
Plan of Correction: The parent was contacted and corrections were made. All start dates have been documented.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on staff record review and staff interview, the licensee did not ensure that all required information was documented in each staff member's record.
Evidence: The following information had not been documented in each staff person's record as confirmed by Staff #1:
Staff #2 did not have two references and job title.
Staff #3 did have documentation of job title.
Staff #5 did not have documentation of a job title and qualifications for the position.
Staff #7 did not have two references.
Plan of Correction: The program director founded Staff #2 in to be file folder .
Staff #7 reference were completed.
Program Director will be training for the next two weeks to have all staff qualified as programs with 24 hours of training.
Program Director will have job title inserted in all records.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation and inspection of the facility, the licensee did not ensure that all areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. Outside play area there was white peeling paint on outside door frame going into the storage area.
2. In the women's bathroom, the second toilet is not operable. Staff #1 stated there was sand put in the toilet causing it to be not operable.
3. In the women's bathroom, the fourth toilet did not have a toilet tank cover it was covered with white duck tape. Staff #1 confirmed it does not have a toilet tank cover.
4. In the women's and men's bathroom , all six toilets had two bolts each that were exposed/protruding could be a snag or entangle clothing. The bolt caps were missing.
5. In the women's and men's bathroom , the sinks pipe plate that are flushed to the wall is rusting with a red residue.
6. In the men's bathroom, one of the four sinks had a broken handle and it was covered with white tape.
7. In the men's bathroom, there was moveable dirt behind the toilet and on the side of the toilet and a red residue around the bolt .
8. In the men's bathroom, there was a brown matter inside the stall on the divider and the wall in several places.
9. In the front room, there was a chair that had approximately 4 inch tear.
10. In the front room, there was a fan and a shelf and a snack machine with moveable dust.
Plan of Correction: The program director will discuss maintenance with the owner .
1. The painter will be scheduled to come back to complete the painting job.
2. A plumber came down and fixed the toilet on 1/16/2020
3. Toilet tank cover will be purchased.
4. Bolt caps will be purchased.
5. The plates will be replace. A work order was created.
6. The sink handle will be replaced.
7. Bathroom was cleaned by the director. The teachers are required to check off the list. And when closed both bathrooms will be sanitized with bleach and water.
8. The the bathroom was cleaned and the center addressed the situation to prevent in from happening again.
9. The chair has been removed.
10. The front room dust was removed. When kids are out of the building, during nap and between 5-6pm the center cleans areas.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-D Description: Based on record review, observation and staff interview, the licensee did not ensure that in each grouping of children at least one staff member who meets the qualifications of a program leader or program director shall be present.
Evidence: The grouping for toddlers to 3 year old and grouping for the infants did not have a qualified program leader. Staff #1 confirmed that there was not a staff present with the the Infant grouping and the toddler to three year old grouping that did not meet the qualifications of a program leader or a program director.
Plan of Correction: Program Director will be training for the next two weeks to have all staff qualified as programs with 24 hours of training
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-B Description: Based on observation and inspection of the facility, the licensee did not ensure that diapering surface shall be used only for diapering or cleaning children.
Evidence: There was roll of paper towels on the diapering surface in the women's bathroom.
Plan of Correction: Diapering surface is not being used. The center will not store any items on diapering surfaces.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-M Description: Based on 3 of 6 injury reports reviewed, the licensee did not ensure required information is documented in written record of minor injuries.
The injury record for child #7 ( injury date 10/24/2019 ), child #8 (injury date 12/30/2019), child #8 ( injury date 12/23/2019) was missing documentation on how parent was notified. Staff #1 confirmed during the inspection the items were missing.
Plan of Correction: Reinforce the requirements.
Standard #: 22VAC40-80-120-E-6 Description: Based on observation, the licensee did not ensure that a copy of any special order issued by the department shall be posted in a prominent place at each public entrance of the licensed premises to advise consumers of serious or persistent violations. Evidence: 1. When the inspector arrived at 10:19 am the special order dated August 22, 2019 was not posted. 2. Staff #1 confirmed that the special order was not posted. Plan of Correction: The program director had to take it down to explain to parents why they were being notified.
The program director re-posted. Program director made copies so the Special Order will not be removed.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.