Ms. Pauline Henley
801 Ebenezer Road
Amherst, VA 24521
Current Inspector: Victoria E Dawson (540) 309-2674
Inspection Date: Jan. 27, 2020
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
An unannounced complaint inspection was made on 1/27/2020. A complaint was received on 1/7/2020 related to the provider exceeding the licensed capacity and transportation concerns. The complaint was completed on 2/6/2020 and sent to the provider via email on that date.
The inspector and the Licensing Administrator arrived at the provider's home at 4:00 pm on 1/27/2020. Three children were observed being transported.
There were violations related to children's records and transportation. The complaint was valid related to the transportation area of the Standards.
During the complaint investigation, there was detailed discussion with the provider about the current car seat laws. A memo was sent to providers on/about July 16, 2019 explaining the current Code of Virginia laws related to car seats.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-760-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on interview, the provider failed to ensure that the required emergency supplies were in the vehicle used for transportation.
1. The provider was observed transporting children in a vehicle. The provider was asked for the first aid kit in the vehicle and stated that there wasn't one in there.
Plan of Correction: The provider is getting another first aid kit for the vehicle.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-980-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interview, the provider failed to ensure that there was general written permission obtained from the parent of each child for the provider to take the child off the premises of the family day home. The general written permission shall be on a form that lists regularly scheduled trips (e.g., library, store, playground) and the driver, if the child is to be transported.
1. The provider stated there was no written permission for children #1 and #2 who were observed being transported. The children were three years and nine years old. The children have been transported, according to the provider, daily since 1/21/2020.
Plan of Correction: The provider has gotten all forms for transportation completed by the parents.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-990-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interview, the provider failed to ensure that the required items were in the vehicle used for transportation.
1. According to the provider the following required items were not in the vehicle being used for transporting the children: the name, address, and telephone number of the family day home; a copy of the parent's written permission to transport the child; a copy of the child's emergency contact information as required in 22 VAC 40-111-60-B; emergency supplies as required by 22 VAC 40-111-760.
2. The provider stated that the information including the first aid kit was in a vehicle that was broken down and at the auto mechanic shop. The vehicle, according to the provider, has been in the shop since approximately the beginning or mid-November 2019.
Plan of Correction: The provider is working on putting together a bag with all required items for the vehicle.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-100-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review, the provider failed to ensure that documentation was obtained of a physical examination by or under the direction of a physician prior to a child's attendance or within 30 days after the first day of attendance.
1. The physical examinations for children #4, #5, and #6 (all siblings) were dated 11/8/19 by the physician. The children's ages are: two seven year olds and eight years old. All of the children's first date of attendance was 9/17/19. The documentation of the physical examinations was not obtained within 30 days of the children's attendance.
Plan of Correction: The provider will make sure physicals are in the child's record within 30 days.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-60-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on interview, the provider failed to ensure that there was a record for each enrolled child in care that contained all required information.
1. There were no records for children #1 and #2 who, according to the provider, were enrolled and began care on 1/21/2020.
Plan of Correction: The children's records have been completed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-90-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on interview, the provider failed to ensure that documentation that the child has been adequately immunized according to the requirements of ? 32.1-46 A of the Code of Virginia and applicable State Board of Health regulations was obtained before the child attended the family day home.
1. There was no immunization record for child #2 who, according to the provider, came into care on 1/21/2020.
Plan of Correction: The provider has the immunization record in the child's file.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.