Bethel Child Development Center
1705 Todds Lane
Hampton, VA 23666
(757) 826-1426 (308)
Current Inspector: Christine Mahan (757) 404-0568
Inspection Date: July 24, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed standards 22 VAC 40-185-(4)-330-F and 22 VAC 40-185-(8)-560-F-1
An unannounced Monitoring Inspection was conducted on July 24, 2019 from approximately 11:15 am until 3:00 pm. Upon entrance there were 50 children and 11 staff present with children. There were additional staff on site for administrative and program purposes. The record review sample consisted of 7 children's records and 5 staff records. Children were observed during free play to include , blocks, dolls and reading. Children were also observed during lunch. The infants were observed during diaper changing process and feeding. One medication was on site and reviewed. Areas of noncompliance are identified on the violation notice. The results of the inspection were reviewed and verified by the Program Director on this date. Please contact the licensing inspector with any questions (757) 404-0568.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review of seven children's records, the license did not ensure all children's records were maintained and kept at the center and contained all the required information.
Evidence: The following records were determined to be incomplete;
1) The record for Child #1 did not include the physicians name or phone number.
2) The record for Child #2 did not include the name of any additional programs or schools the child is concurrently attending and the grade or class level and it did not include the appropriate legal paperwork on file when the custodial parent requests the center not to release the child to the other parent.
3) The record for Child #3 did not include the name of any additional programs or schools the child is concurrently attending and the grade or class level.
4) The record for Child #4 did not include the name of any additional programs or schools the child is concurrently attending and the grade or class level and the addresses for both emergency contacts listed.
5) The record for Child #5 did not include the name of any additional programs or schools the child is concurrently attending and the grade or class level and the second emergency contact listed was missing a complete address (no city, state or zip code listed).
Plan of Correction: All child files will be updated by September 1, 2019.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on a record review of five staff records and staff interviews, the licensee did not ensure that each staff records shall be kept for each staff person and include all required information.
Evidence: The record for staff #3 list the staff as a designated program leader and there is not written information in the record to demonstrate the individual possesses the experience required by the job position.
Plan of Correction: Corrected 7/31/19
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-330-B Description: Based on observation, measurements and staff interviews, the licensee has not ensured that where playground equipment is provided, resilient surfacing shall comply with minimum safety standards. Resilient surfacing shall be under equipment with moving parts or climbing apparatus to create a fall zone free of hazardous obstacles. Fall zones are defined as the area underneath and surrounding equipment that requires a resilient surface. A fall zone shall encompass sufficient area to include the child's trajectory in the event of a fall while the equipment is in use. Falls zones shall not include barriers for resilient surfacing.
Evidence: The resilient surfacing and the fall zone on the playground was inadequate.
1) The resilient surfacing under the swings measured between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches deep and there should be a minimum of 6 inches of surfacing.
2) The resilient surfacing at the base of the green slide measured between 4 and 4 1/2 inches deep and there should be a minimum of 6 inches of surfacing.
3) The fall zone for the green slide was inadequate as there was plastic picnic table 4 /1/2 feet from the base of the green slide chute and there should be a minimum of 8 feet 9 inches of fall zone from the base of the slide chute.
Plan of Correction: Will be corrected ASAP.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-M Description: Based on documentation review and staff interviews, the licensee has not ensured the center shall maintain a written record of children's serious and minor injuries in which entries are made the day of occurrence.
Evidence: Ten injury reports were reviewed and two did not include the treatment provide, two did not include any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury and three did not include the time of the injury.
Plan of Correction: August 20, 2019 staff will be retrained on reporting and documentation
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-F Description: Based on documentation review and staff interviews, the licensee had not ensured when the center has provided food that a menu listing foods to be served for meals and snacks during the current one-week period shall be dated and posted or given to the parents.
Evidence: The menu posted was not dated for the current week. It was dated July 1-19, 2019.
Plan of Correction: The menu was posted needed to be flipped over. Management corrected that day.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.