Braddock Street United Methodist Church Early Learning Center
103 South Braddock Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman (540) 430-9257
Inspection Date: Oct. 2, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced renewal inspection was completed on 10/02/2019 from 10:20 A.M.-4:15 P.M. At the time of the inspection 71 children were in care with eighteen staff and one administrator present. Ten children records, ten staff records, two board member background checks, two medications and required documentation, eight injury reports, first aid kits, emergency supplies, playground, evacuation drills, parent handbook, and posted required information were reviewed. Children were observed during infant feeding, diapering, tummy time, free choice activities, gross motor time on the playground, learning activities that included writing, marble painting, transitions, behavioral guidance, handwashing, lunchtime, naptime, snack, afternoon activities, and departure. The exceptions to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
If you have any questions or concerns contact the licensing inspector at (540)-430-9257 for further assistance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to keep all hazardous materials in a locked location.
1. In Classroom #1 there was a cabinet that had a locking mechanism on the door, but was not locked that contained Clorox Disinfectant Wipes, Lysol Spray, and bleach water.
2. Warning labels stated "keep out of the reach of children", and caution.
3. Staff verified that the cabinet was not locked.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review the requirement for all hazardous materials to be kept in a locked location.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-450-D Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all pillows were covered with a pillow case.
1. In Classroom #2 there was a Winnie-The-Pooh pillow that was not covered with a pillow case.
2. Staff verified that the pillow did not have a pillowcase.
Plan of Correction: The teacher in the classroom will contact the parents this evening and make them aware if they want to continue use of the pillow it will need a pillow case.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-M Description: Based on review of injury reports, the center failed to ensure that all injury reports included all the required information.
1. Injury reports dated 9/25/19, 9/27/2019, and 10/01/2019 did not include the time the parents were notified.
2. Injury reports dated 09/27/2019 and 09/30/2019 did not include future action to prevent recurrence of the injury.
3. Staff verified that the reports were missing the required information.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review how to correctly complete injury reports with all staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-570-E Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all prepared infant formulas was labeled with the date.
1. In Classroom #1 there were two bottles in the refrigerator that was not labeled with the date.
2. Staff verified that the bottles were labeled with a name, but did not have the date.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review infant feeding requirements will all infant staff.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.