AlphaBest at Antietam Elementary
12000 Antietam Road
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Current Inspector: Angela Dudek (804) 629-8167
Inspection Date: Oct. 15, 2019 and Oct. 16, 2019
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
A complaint investigation was conducted on October 15, 2019 and October 16, 2019. The complaint consisted of allegations received by the Northern Licensing Office on 10/11/2019 regarding inadequate supervision. The investigation was conducted jointly with another local government agency. Based on staff interviews, observation of the outdoor playground area, and review of documentation and policies, a preponderance of evidence supports the allegations regarding supervision. Therefore, the complaint is determined to be valid. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the Violation Notice.
Please complete the columns for "Plan of Correction" and "Date to be Corrected" for each violation cited on the violation notice, and then return a signed and dated copy to the licensing office by 5:00pm on Monday, November 11, 2019. Please email me at email@example.com with any questions or clarifications needed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Complaint related: No Description: Based on staff interviews and review of documentation and policies, the center's own policies and procedures were not followed as required.
1. The center's policy states: "Team members must count heads before transitioning students to a new area; and, then again when they are in the new area." This procedure was not followed on 10/10/19 when transitioning the children in the after school program to the playground area and then back inside the school which resulted in a 5 year old child being left outside.
2. Staff #1 and Staff #2 stated, on the afternoon of 10/10/19, a head count was not done once the children got to the playground nor when the children returned back inside the school.
Plan of Correction: Area Manager will re-train all staff members on AlphaBEST policy and procedures pertaining to head counts every transition.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on staff interviews, staff did not ensure the care, protection, and guidance of all children in care.
1. Staff #1 and Staff #2 stated that none of the 6 staff present on 10/10/2019 were aware that Child #1 (Age 5) had been on another playground unsupervised by staff until the child's parent arrived to pick the child up.
Plan of Correction: Area Manager recommended and implemented dividing the children into groups with specific staff assigned to each group.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on staff interviews and review of documentation, children under 10 years of age were not always within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. Child #1 (Age 5) was out of sight and sound supervision of staff for approximately 10-15 minutes from approximately 3:35pm to 3:50pm on 10/10/19.
Plan of Correction: All staff will review the policy and requirements of VA state licensing requirements pertaining to sight and sound supervision.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Complaint related: No Description: Based on review of staff records, one staff record did not contain documentation of central registry search results by the end of the 30th day of employment.
1. Staff #1 (Date of Hire: 9/3/19) did not have central registry search results on file.
2. Staff #3 advised the central registry search request had to be resent on 9/23/19 and AlphaBest has not yet received the results.
Plan of Correction: Included in site file. Received on 10/25/19.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.