Columbia Baptist Child Development Center
103 West Columbia Street
Falls church, VA 22046
Current Inspector: Stacy Doyle (571) 835-0386
Inspection Date: Nov. 19, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed the new playground plans.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted from 9:55am-1:45pm. At the time of entrance, 239 children were in care with 51 staff members present. Children were observed during Spanish class, singing, marching, lunch time, painting, playing with play doh, playing in centers, listening to the teacher read a story and outdoor play time. Interactions between the children and staff were positive. A selection of staff and children records, the physical space, evacuation drills, attendance records, injury reports and the Emergency Preparedness Plan were reviewed. Lunch today was tomato sauce with pasta, chicken, mixed vegetable and pudding. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at Stacy.Doyle@dss.virginia.gov or 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on review of ten staff records, staff records did not include all required information.
1. Staff #2 began employment on 8/26/2019. Staff #2 did not have 2 references.
2. Staff #4 began employment on 8/12/2019. Staff #4 did not have 2 references or orientation training documentation.
3. Staff #8 began employment on 2/11/2019. Staff #8 had only 1 reference and needs one more reference.
Plan of Correction: We will call for the references today and will go over the orientation today.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, equipment inside and outside of the center were not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. In classroom 157, the heating and air condition unit in the classroom had rust on the unit and had two missing tile squares in the bathroom.
2. In classroom 237/238 and 152 the heating and air condition unit in the classroom had rust on the unit.
3. In classroom 236, an thermostat was missing the plate and not covered near the light switch in the bathroom. There were 4 sharp corners not covered on that plate.
4. On the playground, a bolt on the fence near the gate was protruding out and not covered.
5. The mulch needs to be raked around the fall zones of the playground or more mulch needs to be added..
Plan of Correction: The bathroom tile and missing plate, We will put in a work order to get those fixed.
We will have all the air condition units sanded and painted.
We will get the bolt covered.
We will rake the playground and make sure we have enough to cover the areas needed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: Based on observation, hazardous substances such as cleaning materials were not kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. In classroom 150, a cleaning product was inside a cabinet in an unlocked closet.
Plan of Correction: We will remind staff to keep the cabinets and locked and will add a safety knob lock to the closet door.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-B Description: Based on review of ten staff records, the center did not obtain a completed sworn statement from an employee prior to employment.
1. Staff #1 began employment on 9/16/2019. The staff member signed the sworn statement on 9/25/2019.
Plan of Correction: We will make sure the staff sign prior to employment.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on review of ten staff records, the center did not obtain a copy of the results of central registry findings within 30 days of employment.
1. Staff #1 began employment on 9/16/2019 and did not have record that the Central Registry had been sent and did not have the results within 30 days of employment.
2. Staff #2 began employment on 8/26/2019 and did not have record the Central Registry had been sent and did not have the results within 30 days of employment.
Plan of Correction: We will follow up if we do not receive within 30 days and keep a copy of what was sent and when. We will call CPS today and if they do not have them, we will resend them.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-2 Description: Based on review of ten staff records, the center did not obtain the fingerprinting results for each staff member prior to hiring.
1. Staff #1 began employment on 9/16/2019 and did not have the fingerprint results until 9/27/2019.
2. Staff #4 began employment on 8/12/2019 and did not have the fingerprint results until 8/19/2019.
3. Staff #5 began employment on 8/13/2019 and did not have the fingerprint results until 9/10/2019.
4. Staff #8 began employment on 2/11/2019 and did not have the fingerprint results until 9/26/2019.
Plan of Correction: Start dates will be delayed in the future until we have the letter.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-3 Description: Based on review of ten staff records, the center did not obtain a copy of the results of central registry maintained by any other state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff #1 began employment on 9/16/2019 and had lived in another State in the past 5 years. The center did not have record that the Central Registry for PA had been sent and did not have the results.
2. Staff #2 began employment on 8/12/2019 and had lived in another State in the past 5 years. The center did not have record that the Central Registry for DC or MD had been sent and did not have the results.
Plan of Correction: I will resend the documents and going forward will keep a copy and document when it was sent.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.