Angelles Place Child Development Center
3907 Hershberger Road NW
Roanoke, VA 24017
Current Inspector: James R Basham (804) 588-2370
Inspection Date: Nov. 18, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22VAC40-665 PHYSICAL PLANT
An unannounced mandated inspection took place on November 18, 2019, beginning at approximately 9:15 AM and ending at approximately 1:30 PM. Five staff records and five children's records were reviewed during the inspection. There were 30 children in care and nine staff present. There were no medications onsite during this inspection. All areas that are used for care were observed. The inspector looked at first aid and emergency supplies, drill documentation, transportation, injury and incident reports, and required health and fire inspections. The children and staff were observed during the following activities: story time, outside time, hand washing practices, playing with blocks, lunchtime, and nap time. There were discussions about the records and the playground. The violations were discussed at the conclusion of this inspection. If you have any questions in the future, please contact your inspector, Jensen Mellnick, at (540)309-2051.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review and discussion with staff, the center failed to ensure that at least every two years from the date of the first initial screening or testing, staff members shall obtain follow-up tuberculosis screening.
1. Staff 4 had a documented date on their tuberculosis screening of 04/12/2017. The LI could not locate any documentation of a newer TB screening or test and Staff 4 verified that there was no other documentation of TB screening/testing.
Plan of Correction: Staff will ensure that a TB screening takes place as soon as possible.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to maintain and keep at the center a separate record for each child enrolled which shall contain all elements as required by the standards.
1. The phone number for the child's physician was not listed in the child's record for Child 1.
2. There was no address listed for a second emergency contact for Child 2.
Plan of Correction: Staff will ensure all items are completed before they start.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observations, the center failed to ensure that all areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. While inspecting the playground, the LI observed four tricycles with missing handlebars. The missing handlebars exposed the protruding steel frame, which could pose as a hazard to a child.
2. A child was observed riding one of the tricycles which was missing handlebars.
Plan of Correction: Staff will try to order the covers or they will dispose of the bikes.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-330-B Description: Based on observations and measurement, the center failed to ensure that when playground equipment is provided, resilient surfacing shall comply with minimum safety standards and shall be under equipment with moving parts or climbing apparatus to create a fall zone free of hazardous obstacles.
1. The resilient surfacing surrounding climbable equipment, measured anywhere from approximately 2 inches in depth to 4 inches in depth. The climbable equipment was approximately 15 inches high and required 6 inches of resilient surfacing.
2. There were several areas where grass and weeds were visible within fall zones.
3. Children were observed playing on the playground during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: Staff will till or purchase more mulch.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.