Children's Harbor - Suffolk
1020 Champion's Way
Suffolk, VA 23435
Current Inspector: Melinda Popkin (757) 802-5281
Inspection Date: Nov. 26, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
22VAC40-665 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
22VAC40-665 PHYSICAL PLANT
22VAC40-665 STAFFING & SUPERVISION
22VAC40-665 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS & EMERGENCIES
22VAC40-665 SPECIAL SERVICES
A Subsidy Health and Safety inspection was conducted on 11/26/19 from 11:00am until 12:55pm to review supplemental health and safety requirements. At the time of entrance, there were 47 children in care with 9 staff present. A sample of 5 children's records and 6 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed eating lunch, playing on the playground and resting quietly during nap time. Restroom and hand washing procedures were also observed. Medication, transportation, first aid and emergency supplies, documentation of emergency practice drills and children's injury reports were reviewed. A licensing inspection was also conducted on this date; the two inspections combined cover all subsidy health and safety requirements. Only subsidy requirements that are not covered in licensing standards are reviewed during this supplemental inspection. Violations were found during the supplemental subsidy health and safety inspection and are identified on the violation notice.
Standard #: 22VAC40-665-500-F Description: Based on observation and interview, the vendor did not ensure that a current written list of all children's allergies, sensitivities, and dietary restrictions are maintained in a way that is accessible to all staff who work with children and kept in each room or area where children are present.
1. There was no list of all children's allergies, sensitivities and dietary restrictions in 5 out of the 6 classrooms at the center.
2. The center director confirmed that there was not a list of all children's allergies, sensitivities and dietary restrictions in 5 of the 6 classrooms.
Plan of Correction: The vendor responded with the following: Allergy information for all children will be updated and posted in each classroom. Information will be updated as needed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-665-540-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the vendor did not ensure that staff shall be evaluated by a health professional and be issued a statement that the individual is determined to be free of communicable tuberculosis (TB). Documentation of the screening shall be submitted at the time of employment and prior to coming into contact with children. The documentation shall have been completed within the last 30 calendar days of the date of employment and be signed by a physician, physician's designee, or an official of the local health department.
1. The record for staff 1 (date of hire 7/22/19) contains documentation of a negative TB test that was dated 7/23/19, which is after the the first day of employment and after coming into contact with children.
2. The record for staff 2 (date of hire: 10/8/19) contains documentation of a negative TB test that was dated 10/10/19, which is after the the first day of employment and after coming into contact with children.
3. The center director confirmed that the TB tests for staff 1 and staff 2 were completed after the first day of employment and coming into contact with children.
Plan of Correction: The vendor responded with the following: Documentation of TB screenings are now required by all new employees prior to their first day of work. The documentation will be placed in the employee file onsite on or before the first day of work. Current employee files will be audited to ensure that current TB information is in each file.
Standard #: 22VAC40-665-580-E-1 Description: Based on record review and interview, the vendor did not ensure that all staff have current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) appropriate to the age of children in care.
1. The record for staff 3 does not contain documentation of current certification in CPR. Staff 1 has a hire date of 7/26/19.
2. The center director confirmed that staff 3 has not completed certification in CPR within the required time frame.
Plan of Correction: The vendor responded with the following: All staff who are not currently trained will be trained. Moving forward, all new employees with receive CPR training within the required 90 day period.
Standard #: 22VAC40-665-580-E-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, the vendor did not ensure that all staff have current certification in first aid.
1. The record for staff 3 does not contain documentation of current certification in first aid. Staff 1 has a hire date of 7/26/19.
2. The center director confirmed that staff 3 has not completed certification in first aid within the required time frame.
Plan of Correction: The vendor responded with the following: All staff who are not currently trained will be trained. Moving forward, all new employees will receive first aid training within the required 90 day period.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.