KinderCare Learning Center #000540
8604 Pohick Road
Springfield, VA 22153
Current Inspector: Mahrukh Aziz (571) 835-4718
Inspection Date: Dec. 3, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
An unannounced inspection was conducted from 11:25 am to 12:15 pm, in response to a self reported incident that occurred on 11/25/19. The incident was related to a staff person feeding the wrong breast milk bottle to an infant in care. 3 staff were interviewed, 2 staff records and 2 children's records were reviewed. The infant room, infant bottles and software to record infants feedings and diaper changes were reviewed. Based on the preponderance of evidence, violations were cited in the Violation Notice. For any questions related to this inspection, please contact me at 571-835-4718 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on staff interview and records review, the center did not follow it's own policies and procedures to maintain compliance with the standards.
1. On 11/25/19, at approximately 3:15 pm, Staff # 1 fed Child # 1?s breast milk bottle to Child # 2.
2. Staff # 1 stated that there were 3 infant bottles sitting on top of the fridge. When she picked up one of the three bottles to feed Child # 2, she did not complete the required name to face check as required by the center?s ?Safe Bottle Feeding? policy. The policy states that ?before feeding the child, match the label on the bottle to the child?s face. Confer with your co-teacher that you have the correct bottle and the correct child?.
Plan of Correction: Ensure that staff are completing "Name-to-Face" bottle checks as required by the center's Safe Bottle Feeding Policy. Ensure that the Safe Bottle Feeding Policy is clearly posted in the infant classroom.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on staff interviews, staff did not ensure care and protection when supervising children.
1. On 11/25/19, at approximately 3:15 pm, Staff # 1 did not ensure the care and protection for Child # 1 as she fed Child # 1?s breast milk bottle to Child # 2.
2. Staff # 2 stated that after changing a diaper, when she walked to the refrigerator, she noticed that Child # 2?s breast milk bottle was sitting on top of the refrigerator. At the same time, Staff # 2 also noticed that Staff # 1 was feeding Child # 2.
3. Staff # 2 stated that she immediately checked the bottles and realized that Staff # 1 was feeding Child # 1?s bottle to Child # 2.
4. Staff # 1 stated that she did not complete the required name to face check of the bottle to the child?s face, to ensure that infants are being fed their own bottle.
Plan of Correction: Ensure that staff are completing Name-to-Face bottle checks with themselves and other staff members in the classroom. Ensure that all staff have completed retraining regarding the Safe Bottle Feeding Policy.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.