Bright Horizons Children's Centers, LLC - Charlottesville
839 Estes Street
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Current Inspector: Chrystal King (804) 297-4469
Inspection Date: Nov. 21, 2019
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
Thank you for your assistance during this unannounced inspection. This on-site visit was conducted on November 21, 2019 as a result of a complaint that was received by the Valley Licensing Office on October 31, 2019 regarding standard 22VAC40-185-(7). Interviews were conducted with two staff members and parents. The information gathered during this inspection supports the allegation. Therefore, the complaint is valid.
Please complete your plan of correction within 5 business days and return to the licensing inspector.
Please contact me at 540-430-9256 if you have any questions and/or if I may be of assistance with licensing standards.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-K Complaint related: No Description: Evidence:
1. On October 28, 2019, at approximately 11:55 a.m., Staff #1 and #2 stated they were bringing the children inside from the playground.
2. Staff #1 stated she was holding the hand of Child #1 when he pulled to the side and she heard a ?pop.?
3. Child #1 immediately started crying.
4. Staff #1 checked to see if there was any injury to Child #1 but said ?he seemed fine.?
5. The children went inside to wash hands for lunch.
6. Staff #1 and #2 noticed Child #1 was not using his arm during lunch.
7. Staff #1 called the Director to come to the classroom and check Child #1.
8. The Director came to the classroom and stated they would wait until after nap to call Child #1?s parents.
9. Child #1 went down for nap at approximately 1:00 p.m. The parent was told about the incident at approximately 3:06 p.m. when they came to pick up their child.
10. Medical report stated the child was diagnosed with a dislocated elbow.
Plan of Correction: In response to this incident, the Center Director met with the involved classroom staff on November 4,
2019 and reminded each to always release children?s hands as they pull down to the ground or away
from the staff member. The Center Administrators will meet with all staff to ensure awareness of this
by December 10, 2019. In addition, the Center?s Regional Manager spoke with the Center Director who
will connect with all Center staff and reminded them to not wait to further assess the possibility of injury
to a child, but rather make initial contact with the family at the time of the incident to allow parents the
opportunity to make a decision on the timing of potential medical attention. This will be part of the
meetings to occur by December 10, 2019.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.