Primrose School of Ashburn
44830 Lakeview Overlook Plaza
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Charles Perkins (703) 309-3963
Inspection Date: Jan. 15, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
Discussion was held on the topics of current enrollment, current staffing, and background checks. Discussion was also held with regards to a picture that appeared to be hanging loose on the wall. Upon further investigation, the picture was secured to the wall.
The following inspection took place between the hours of 9 am through 2:30 pm. Today, I met with the Staff of the Primrose School located in Ashburn, Virginia. At the start of this unannounced monitoring inspection there were a total of 114 children observed with 19 classroom staff; good ratios in all 11 rooms. A total of 10 children?s files and 10 staff files were reviewed. The children were engaged in the following: Infant sleeping, diapering, hand washing, morning snack, story time, leaning about magnets, large motor skilled activities outside on the playground, lunch, nap time, and other organized activities. If you should have any future questions, please call or send an e-mail to email@example.com. Thank you.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-B Description: Based on review, 2 of 10 children files indicated that the did not obtain documentation of additional immunizations once every six months for children under the age of two years.
1. On the date of inspection (01/15/2020), the current immunization documentation on file for Child #3 was dated - 04/17/2019. The current immunization documentation on file for Child #4 was dated - 04/26/2019.
2. Based on information on file, on the date of inspection, both Child #3 and Child #4 were under the age of two years.
Plan of Correction: The parents of both Child #3 and Child #4 shall be notified and the documentation obtained.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on review, 1 of 10 children files indicated that each child did not have a physical examination (by or under the direction of a physician) within one month after attendance.
1. On the date of inspection (01/15/2020), documentation of a physical examination for Child #3 was not available for review.
2. Based on the information on file, the start date for Child #3 was listed as 04/29/2019.
Plan of Correction: The parent of Child #3 shall be notified and the documentation obtained.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on review, 1 of 10 staff files indicated that it has been more than two years since the last submission of the documentation for a tuberculosis screening (TB).
1. On the date of inspection (01/15/2020), the current documentation on file for Staff #5 was dated - 10/03/2017.
2. This documentation would have expired after 10/03/2019.
Plan of Correction: Staff #5 shall obtain updated TB documentation.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on review, 1 of 10 staff files indicated that the documentation that two or more references (as to character and reputation as well as competency) were not checked before employment.
1. On the date of inspection (01/15/2020), 0 of 2 completed references were not available for review for Staff #4.
2. The start date for Staff #4 was listed as 11/13/2019.
Plan of Correction: The employee reference form on file shall be completed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-370-1 Description: Based on observation, an infant, who was able to easily turn over from the back (supine) to the belly (prone) position while in a crib, was not still placed on their back (supine) when laid down to sleep.
1. On the date of inspection (01/15/2020) at approximately 9:45 am, Child #1 was place on their belly to start their nap time by Staff #1.
2. Staff #1 stated (during an interview on the date of inspection) that it was her understanding that once a child could roll on their own, the child could then be laid on their belly (prone) position.
3. There was not an authorization from the infant's physician in writing directing the center to instruct a staff person to do otherwise.
Plan of Correction: Staff shall be reminded of this standard going forward. Currently all staff sign off on this training.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-40-D-1-A Description: Based on review and interview, 1 of 10 staff files indicated that background checks on file were for another center.
1. On the date of inspection (01/15/2020), both the Eligibility letter (dated - 02/23/2018), and the search of the central registry (dated - 01/17/2017) for Staff #1 were requested by Primrose School of Ashburn at Broadlands.
2. The Owner stated (during an interview conducted on the date of inspection) that Primrose School of Ashburn and Primrose School of Ashburn at Broadlands operate independently, each being under a separate LLC. The Owner also stated that at one time Staff #1 did work at the other center, but now works here and has for some time.
3. During an inspection conducted on 09/24/2019, it was explained to the administration of the center that due to each center being in a separate LLC, both locations would require their own documentation (background checks requested and for that individual center) to be on file.
Plan of Correction: New requests shall be sent in order to obtain an Eligibility letter, and a search of the central registry on Staff #1 that lists Primrose School of Ashburn as the center. These request shall be sent within 10 days. Once this documentation is obtained, it shall be reviewed by our Licensing Inspector.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.