Dulles Montessori School
898 Crestview Drive
Herndon, VA 20170
Current Inspector: Tanya Johnson (571) 423-6392
Inspection Date: Jan. 21, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
A renewal inspection was conducted today from 9:30 am until 2:45 pm. There were 27 children with 4 direct supervision staff. The children were observed hand washing and eating snack. Primary children were observed completing word and number identification. Pre-primary class was observed discussing helping friends. The physical plant, children's records, staff records, evacuation logs, attendance logs,emergency plans and procedures, lunch boxes, emergency supplies and medications were inspected. Areas of non compliance were cited on the Violation Notice. If you have any questions, please contact me at Tanya.Johnson1@dss,virginia.gov or call 571.423.6392.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-A Description: Based on a review of children's records, the center did not obtain documentation of immunizations by the first day of attendance.
Child #5's record did not have documentation of immunizations on the first day of attendance. First day of attendance - 02.06.2019, documentation of immunizations obtained 03/09/2019.
Plan of Correction: I will contact parents.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on observation, staff failed to follow the center's own policy regarding cell phones in the classroom.
1) During observation in the primary classroom, one staff member's cell phone was ringing.
2) During observation in the pre-primary classroom, one staff member's cell phone was ringing.
Plan of Correction: I will re-train staff as it relates to phones in the classroom.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-H Description: Based on a review of records, the center failed to maintain public liability insurance for bodily injury for each center site with a minimum limit of at least $500,000 each occurrence and with a minimum limit of $500,000 aggregate.
The center did not have documentation of current liability insurance. The policy documented expired 11/1`5/2019.
Plan of Correction: Directed has paid and obtained insurance effective 11/16/2019 and currently does not have documentation. Director will forward documentation as soon as possible.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on a review of records, the center did not maintain required records for children enrolled.
1) Child #3's records did not include documentation of names of persons authorized to pick up the child.
2) Child #4's record did not include documentation of a physician's phone number.
3) Child #5's record did not include documentation of the name of the employer for child's mother.
Plan of Correction: I will request information from parents.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that areas and equipment of the center inside and outside shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition. Unsafe conditions shall include, but not be limited to, splintered, cracked or otherwise deteriorating wood, chipped or peeling paint, visible cracks, bending warping, rusting or breakage of any equipment, head entrapment hazards, and protruding nails, bolts or other components that could entangle clothing or snag skin.
1) On the stairwell, the paint in peeling off of an area of the wall.
2) Near lamp on playground, boards are pulling away from the fence.
3) Near parking lot on the playground, there is a jagged board on the fence.
4) On the fence, near the back of playground, two boards are splitting and leaving a jagged edge that could snag skin.
5) On the fence near the back of playground, there is a nail protruding from the fence that could snag skin.
6( Edging near picnic table has come out of the ground and is a tripping hazard.
7) The handrail on stairway is unstable.
Plan of Correction: We will replace the fence in the spring.
I will have hand rail checked and tightened.
I will check the paint in the stairwell.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that hazardous substances shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1) In primary classroom, hand sanitizer was located on window sill.
2) In the pre-primary classroom, Disinfectant spray and multipurpose cleaner, and glass cleaner in an unlocked cabinet.
3) In the pre-primary napping room there was disinfectant spray in an unlocked cabinet.
Plan of Correction: I will order locks for cabinets.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-J Description: Based on a review of medications, the center failed to ensure that medication is kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
Medication were stored in an unlocked cabinet in an unlocked lock box,
Plan of Correction: I will order locks and place on cabinet or boxes.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-A Description: Based on observation, the first aid kits did not contained required supplies.
1) The pre-primary first aid kit did not contain 2 triangular bandages or gauze pads.
Plan of Correction: I will purchase items.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-G Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that fool brought from home is dated and labeled with the child's name.
1) In the primary classroom, 6 of 6 lunch boxes were not labeled with the child's name and the date.
2) In the pre-primary classroom, 5 of 6 lunch boxes were not labeled with the child's name and date.
3) In the pre-primary classroom, 1 of 6 lunch boxes did not have the current date on it.
Plan of Correction: Remind staff to check lunch boxes and if parent's have not labeled the lunch boxes, staff should label.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.