Bashful Giraffe Early Learning Center
19 George Street
Lynchburg, VA 24502
Current Inspector: Tara K Martin (804) 588-2371
Inspection Date: Feb. 5, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was done today 02/05/2020 beginning at 8:45 AM and ending at 1 PM. There were 55 children present. Five children's, six staff's and three board's members records were reviewed during the inspection.
Observed during arrival, breakfast, free play,classroom playtime Spanish, Lunch and nap were observed, and a physical plant inspection was completed.
Discussion with staff and acting director: DHO training, trash can separate for cloth diapering, and emergency preparedness plan.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-D Description: Based on observation and record review, the center failed to ensure that each grouping of children had a qualified program leader.
1. In the toddler from on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, the program leader does a bus run from 8:20 to 9 am. The assistant is left with another staff person that does not meet the required qualification for program leader. A program leader is not required the first and last hour of care. The center opens at 6:30 A.M.
Plan of Correction: The acting director will rearrange the bus schedule and will ensure that all groupings have a program leader.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-A Description: Based on observation the center failed to ensure that all hands were washed per the standard.
1. Observed in the infant room there were two infants being fed. Both the staff's hands and the infant's hands were not washed before feeding.
Plan of Correction: The staff will in the future make sure that all hands are washed before and after each feeding.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all diapering area had the required supplies.
1. In the toddler room the trash can that is used for disposal of soiled diapers was not foot operated or used in such a manner that neither the staff's hands nor soiled diaper touches an exterior surface of the disposal system.
Plan of Correction: The center will purchase a new type of can to meet the standard.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-J Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all prescription medication was locked.
1. In the toddler room there was a container of prescription diaper cream that was unlocked.
Plan of Correction: During the inspection the staff locked the medication in a locking box.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-B Description: Based on review of the emergency plan, the center failed to ensure that all procedural components were in the plan.
1. Emergency plan did not contain the following procedural components: center's emergency officer and backup, availability and primary use of communication tools, assembly points, head counts, primary and secondary means of egress.
Plan of Correction: The administration will add the missing procedural components to the plan ASAP.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-H Description: Based on review of emergency documents, the center failed to ensure that a document containing local emergency contact information, potential shelters, hospitals, evacuation routes, etc., that pertain to each site frequently visited or of routes frequently driven by center staff for center business (such as field trips, pickup/drop off of children to or from schools, etc.). This document must be kept in vehicles that centers use to transport children to and from the center.
1. The acting director stated that the required information for transporting children that is to be kept in the vehicles was not developed.
Plan of Correction: The administration will develop the emergency document for the vehicles.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.