KinderCare Learning Center at Diamond Springs
990 Diamond Springs Rd.
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Feb. 12, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 2/12/20 from 10:30am until 12:50pm. At the time of entrance, there were 58 children in care with 9 staff. A sample of 6 children's records and 6 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed participating in morning learning activities, eating lunch and resting quietly during nap time. Diapering, restroom and hand washing procedures were also observed. Medication, first aid and emergency supplies, transportation, the emergency preparedness plan, documentation of emergency practice drills, children's injury reports and center postings were reviewed. Five violations in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision and special care provisions and emergencies are identified on the violation notice and were discussed with the center director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each child shall have a physical by or under the direction of a physician before the child's attendance or within one month after attendance.
1. The record for child 2 (date of enrollment: 5/12/19) does not contain documentation of a physical examination.
2. The center director confirmed that the record for child 2 is lacking documentation of a physical examination.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A copy of child 2's physical will be requested again from the parent at pick-up today. The parent will have until Monday, 2/17/20, to bring in the documentation in order for the child to return to the center.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each child's record contains all the required information.
1. The record for child 1 contains only one name, address, and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached, where two are required.
2. The center director confirmed that the record for child 1 contains only one emergency contact person.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The second emergency contact information for child 1 will be obtained by the parent this afternoon at pick-up.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that hazardous substances, such as cleaning materials, shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. In the pre-k classroom, there was a can of Rustoleum, a tub of Clorox disinfecting wipes and a spray bottle of Febreeze air freshener in an unlocked cabinet above the sink.
2. The center director confirmed that the cleaning materials were in an unlocked cabinet and were supposed to be kept in the locked closet in the classroom.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The cleaning materials were moved to the locked closet in the classroom during the inspection.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-1 Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that for children birth to 16 months, a ratio of one staff member for every four children is maintained at all times children are in care.
1. During the inspection, there was 1 staff member present in the infant room with 5 infants, where 1 staff for every 4 children is required.
2. The Child Supervision Record for the infant classroom documents 5 infants in care with 1 staff member from 8:05am until 10:50am, when a second staff person arrived in the classroom.
3. Staff 1 confirmed that she was the only staff person in the classroom with 5 infants and that the room had been out of ratio that morning since 8:05am.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff will be reminded to inform management if it appears that they are going to be out of ratio in the classroom at any time. Management will check classroom ratios at drop-off times and will make necessary adjustments if needed to remain in compliance with ratio requirements.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-C Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that first aid kits have all the required items.
1. The first aid kits on the two center buses do not contain tweezers or a thermometer.
2. The center director confirmed that the first aid kits on the buses are lacking all the required items.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Additional tweezers and thermometers will be purchased and placed in the first aid kits on each bus.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.