Brunswick Academy Association, Inc.
2100 Planters Road
Lawrenceville, VA 23868
Current Inspector: Jennifer Moore (540) 430-0384
Inspection Date: March 2, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 03/02/2020 from 9:50 am to 12:15 pm. The children were observed dancing, reading books, and participating in Dr. Seuss themed learning activities. A formal observation was completed in the fours/fives room. The center does not provide meals, and the children brought food from home. Interviews were held with staff throughout the inspection, and the inspector interacted with children in each classroom when appropriate. All areas utilized by children were inspected today as well as the facility?s playground and CDL bus.
Records were reviewed for five children and four staff. Medication is being administered and was reviewed. Injury reports were reviewed as well as the center?s injury prevention plan.
The center's first aid kit and emergency supplies were inspected.
Last emergency drill: 02/18/2020
Last shelter-in-place drill: 01/31/2020
Last fire inspection: 09/26/2018
Last health inspection: 12/09/2019
Census: There were 11 children present during the inspection.
There were no repeat violations.
If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector, Jennifer Moore, at (804) 662-9716.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that two of the five children had a physical examination before the child's attendance or within one month after attendance.
1. Child #3 was enrolled on 08/19/2019 and the physical was dated 10/11/2019.
2. Child #5 was enrolled on 08/19/2019 and the physical was dated 10/02/2019.
3. The director confirmed that the physicals were received late.
Plan of Correction: to get previous physical while waiting on insurance
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that two of five staff had follow up TB screenings at least every two years.
1. Staff # 2 (DOH 12/1/2016) did not have a record of an updated TB screening.
2. Staff #3 (DOH 10/12/2018) did not have a record of an updated TB screening.
3. The director confirmed that the staff did not have updated TB screenings and their initial screenings had expired.
Plan of Correction: The teachers will get TB by March 13, 2020.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-240-C Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that one of five staff members had 16 hours of annual training.
1. The record of staff #2 (DOH: 12/01/2016) did not contain 16 hours of annual training between 12/01/2018 and 12/01/2019.
2. The director confirmed that the training had not been completed.
Plan of Correction: We will provide training for our teacher.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-260-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that an annual fire inspection report had been completed.
1. The last fire inspection was conducted 09/26/2018.
2. The administration confirmed that a 2019 inspection had not been completed.
Plan of Correction: We will call the fire inspector again.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-290-3 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that electrical outlets have protective covers.
1. The twos/threes classroom had three outlets that did not have protective covers.
Plan of Correction: We will cover outlets by Friday, March 6, 2020.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that a medication had a parent authorization.
1. The medication authorization form for child #1 was missing a parent authorization.
2. The director confirmed that the signature was missing.
Plan of Correction: We will complete the parent authorization today.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that each employee had a central registry finding within 30 days of employment.
1. Employee #1 (DOH: 09/19/2019) did not have record of a central registry finding in her file.
2. The director confirmed that it was missing.
Plan of Correction: I will check with the office to see if they have it tomorrow.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.