La Petite Academy - Ashburn
20110 Ashburn Village Boulevard
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Maria Robles-Lopez (703) 397-3827
Inspection Date: Sept. 3, 2020 , Sept. 9, 2020 and Sept. 10, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed policies (Playground Safety Training, Field Employment Handbook and Face-to-Name Procedures), safe ways to maintain children together and accounted for when transitioning from the classroom to the playground while walking through other classrooms, and re-training of staff in safety and supervision procedures.
A self-reported incident inspection regarding the sight and sound supervision of children was initiated on 09/03/2020 and concluded in 09/10/2020. This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia. The director was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. During the course of this inspection interviews with staff were conducted and staff and children records, the center's policies and the center's video footage were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the facility. If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact the Licensing Inspector, Maria Robles at email@example.com.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on a review of the center's policies and procedures, the center's video footage and interview with staff, it was determined that staff did not follow the center's policies and procedures regarding supervision of children in care.
1)The center's policies and procedures regarding supervision of children state that staff must account for children in care at all times. According to the Learning Care Group Field Employee Handbook, teachers should "maintain accurate attendance records of the children in your care using 'Face-to-Name' procedures" and "Children must not be left unattended at any time". As stated in the Playground Safety Training procedures, "Face-to-Name Transition Sheets must be utilized prior to bringing children out on the playground, when arriving out on the playground, and upon returning to the classroom".
2) Staff #1 and Staff #2 are observed on video footage from 08/28/2020, getting ready to leave the classroom and eventually leaving the classroom without completing the Face-to-Name Transition Sheet.
3) Staff #3 stated that, after she found Child #1 in the classroom, she went to the playground and confirmed that the Face-to-Name Transition Sheet had not been completed.
Plan of Correction: Staff members will be re-educated on Name-to-Face and transition protocol by video training and written communication.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on interviews with staff and review of the center's video footage, it was determined that staff did not ensure care, protection and guidance of children in care.
1) Staff #3 stated that, on 08/28/2020, at approximately 3:15 pm, they entered the Toddler classroom to find Child #1 by themself and without adult supervision.
2) Staff #1 and Staff #2 are observed on video footage from 08/28/2020, leaving the classroom at approximately 3:09 pm, leaving behind Child #1 alone in the classroom. Child #1 is observed unattended in the classroom until approximately 3:15, when Staff #3 enters the classroom and takes Child #1 with them.
Plan of Correction: Staff #1 and #2 were given final written warnings. In addition, staff members will be re-educated on Face-to-Name and transition protocol.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Description: Based on interview with staff and review of video footage, it was determined that staff did not ensure that children under 10 years of age were always within actual sight and sound supervision at all times.
1) Staff #3 stated that, on 08/28/2020, at approximately 3:15 pm, they entered the Toddlers' classroom and saw Child #1 alone in the classroom. Child #1 was by themself, sitting on a table. The teachers were on the playground with the Toddlers class.
2) Child #1 is observed on video footage being left behind in the classroom when the Toddlers class and the teachers left the room at approximately 3:09 pm. Child #1 is observed walking around the classroom, looking at some toys and sitting at a table until approximately 3:15 pm, when Staff #3 entered the classroom.
Plan of Correction: Staff members will be re-educated on playground and supervision expectations by video training and written communication. In addition, staff members will be supplied with materials to assist with transitions.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.