The Compass School of Ashburn
44128 Navajo Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Karen Dickens (571) 423-6978
Inspection Date: Oct. 16, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
- Technical Assistance:
Technical Assistance was provided for the following:
Background Checks-Criminal History, Central Registry, Sworn Disclosure Statement, and Out Of State Central Registry
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia.
A monitoring inspection was initiated on October 16, 2020 and concluded on October 16, 2020. The director was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. There were 45 children present and 17 direct staff. The inspector emailed the director a list of items required to complete the inspection. The Inspector reviewed three children?s records and four staff records submitted by the facility to ensure documentation was complete.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
The Licensing Inspector has reviewed with the provider COVID-19 Essential Guidance for Child Care programs.
Thank you for your cooperation today. If there are any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on record review, three of four required records were not kept for each staff person.
1. Staff #2,(Date of hire-8/23/20), did not have documentation of two references before employment. Two references were dated 09/29/20 and 09/28/20.
2. Staff #3, (Date of hire-09/23/20) did not have documentation of two references before employment. Two references were dated 10/05/2020.
3. Staff #4 (Date of hire-08/13/20), did not have documentation of two references before employment. Two references were dated 10/05/2020.
Plan of Correction: Moving forward, director will ensure that all reference checks are completed before the first date of employment and documented.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-B Description: Based on record review, two of four staff members did not complete a Sworn Disclosure Statement prior to the first day of employment.
1. Staff #2's, (Date of hire-08/23/20), record contained a Sworn Disclosure Statement dated 09/01/2020.
2. Staff #3's, (Date of hire-09/23/20), record contained a Sworn Disclosure Statement dated 10/01/2020.
Plan of Correction: Moving forward, staff will complete Sworn Disclosure Statements prior to employment.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain a central registry finding within 30 days of employment.
1. Staff #1,(Date of hire 08/04/20), did not have documentation of a central registry finding available for review.
2. Staff #2, (Date of hire-08/23/20), did not have documentation of a central registry finding available for review.
3. Staff #4, (Date of hire-08/13/20), did not have documentation of a central registry finding available for review.
Plan of Correction: Search of the Central Registry(CPS) background results for the State of Virginia are required within 30 days of employment. The center will follow up with OBI to check the status of the search and document the file when results are not obtained within 30 days.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-2 Description: Based on record review, one of four staff records contained documentation of work prior to receipt of a nation wide fingerprint search showing eligibility for employment.
1. Staff #2's, (Date of hire-08/23/20), record had documentation of a Criminal Background determination letter dated 08/28/20.
Plan of Correction: All fingerprint based background check results are required prior to employment. Moving forward, all new staff will have fingerprint results reviewed prior to employment.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-3 Description: Based on record review and interview, two of four staff records did not contain a copy of an out of state Child Abuse and Neglect Search Request for employees that resided outside the state of Virginia within five years.
1. Staff #1's (Date of hire-08/04/20) record did not contain documentation of an out of state Child Abuse and Neglect Search Request available for review. Staff #1's Sworn Disclosure Statement dated 08/04/20 stated that she lived outside the state of VA within 5 years. Staff #5 stated that an out of state CPS search was not completed.
2. Staff #3's (Date of hire-09/23/20), record did not contain documentation of an Out of State Child Abuse and Neglect Search Request available for review. Staff #5 stated that a CPS search was not completed.
Plan of Correction: The missing Out of State Child Abuse and Neglect Searches will be completed and mailed. Documentation will be placed in the file.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.