Jump'n Jellybeans Daycare & Learning Center
805 Rodman Avenue
Portsmouth, VA 23707
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sampson (757) 354-7307
Inspection Date: Feb. 5, 2021 , Feb. 9, 2021 and Feb. 11, 2021
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
20 Access to minor?s records
An unannounced complaint investigation was conducted on 02/09/2021 in response to a complaint received by the licensing office on 02/05/2021. On 02/09/2021 inspector investigated allegations regarding record confidentiality. On 02/11/21 inspector reviewed documentation related to the complaint. The information gathered during the investigation does support the allegations regarding record confidentiality, so the complaint is determined to be "valid". If you have any questions, contact the licensing inspector at (757)354-7307.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interview and record review it was determined the center did not meet the operational responsibilities of the licensee by ensuring the center maintained compliance with the standards and the center's own policies and and procedures that are required by these standards, and the terms of the current license issued by the department.
1. The staff handbook states on page 15, "Private and sensitive information must remain confidential. Staff must not relate any information concerning families and their children, such as disputes, or finances to anyone."
2. The parent handbook states on page 9, "Our center gathers information during the enrollment process by asking parents? questions and collecting the following items: enrollment form, health history, children and family background information. All the data is kept strictly confidential in the child?s file and kept locked in the director?s office. Jump?n Jellybeans Daycare and Learning Center only releases your information under your authorization."
3. On 2/1/21 an Excel Spreadsheet created by a volunteer at Jump'n Jellybeans that contained children's first and last names and payer information was able to be viewed at a center where the volunteer was formerly employed due to the employee's Microsoft Office account still being logged in at that center.
Plan of Correction: Center Director has revisited and updated the confidentiality policy. The Center Director will safely guard and keep all/any confidential information on a working document located on a locked/pass code protected flash drive located at the center.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-50-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interview and documentation review it was determined that the center did not ensure that children's records were treated confidentially.
1. Staff #1 gave the first and last names and whether the child was self pay or third party pay to a volunteer who was helping create a spreadsheet for the center in Excel on 2/1/21.
2. The Excel spreadsheet was able to be viewed at a center where the volunteer was formerly employed due to the employee's Microsoft Office account still being logged in at that center.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that first and last names and whether the child was self pay or third party pay was on the spreadsheet that was accessed by the other center.
Plan of Correction: Center Director will safely guard and keep all/any confidential information on a working document located on a locked/pass code protected flash drive located at the center.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.